Some interviewing/job search advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
macattaq

Some interviewing/job search advice

Postby macattaq » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:38 pm

What's up guys? It's probably been about three years since I posted here, so a) almost none of you know me, and b) I'm not quite sure why I'm doing this. As for b), I'll give you a bit of background. I recently graduated from law school, and the job market (I'm in Seattle) is pretty damn difficult. I'm pretty lucky - I have a part-time gig as an entertainment/media law attorney, and full-time work as a technical recruiter. The former position is precisely what I went to law school to do, the latter is the reason why I am posting here. I've worked pretty hard to get some of my law school friends work that will hold them over until they can land FT, paying, law-related work. I know that many of them don't know more than what Career Services told them about the hiring process, and it's pretty frustrating. So, I figured I'd come back here and see if I can toss some information out to other people as they are going through the process.

From what I can remember, there was a lot of stress and anguish over the job search process, beginning from the time people got their acceptance letter from Their School of Choice onward. This is totally understandable. Having been in my current FT position since August, I've learned a lot about being on the other side of the interviewer's table, so I'd like to make myself a resource to you guys. Before you say, "You don't hire lawyers, so what you say doesn't matter", remember that HR is HR. Hiring people is the same across industries, and the differences are less than you may think.

All of that being said, I want to do two things. First, I'd like to direct you all to an awesome blog by a guy who knows what he is talking about. He is pretty young, and has been an HR Director for some pretty successful startups here in the Seattle area. I highly recommend taking the time to read through is posts. Much of it will allay your fears and concerns about the application -> interview -> post-interview -> hire phase. Much of it will also give you anxiety, because, well...a lot of advice about applying for jobs is crap. His blog is located here: --LinkRemoved-- Read through it while you've got some time off between semesters/quarters, and I think it will help.

Second, feel free to shoot me a PM with any hiring process related questions/issues you might have. I'm happy to help people find work; it's something that I've turned out to be pretty good at. I won't review your resume, but I can definitely give you advice (ex: if your cover letter has a word limit, stick to it even if it means not addressing everything that you think is relevant, but if there isn't one, make sure to address everything in the job description clearly and succinctly).

Cheers! And good luck with the job hunt!

Return to “Legal Employment”