San Francisco Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nailjohnj

Bronze

San Francisco

Post by Nailjohnj » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Ok, so I am a 2L at a top 40 SE regional school. My GF just started talking about moving to San Fran for work and I am thinking about trying to get 1/2 my summer out there (I have accepted an offer for the other 1/2 at a mid-size corp firm in the SE). My question is, is it still possible to find 1/2 a summer in San Fran w/ career prospects? I am not looking for biglaw, I actually prefer mid/small-law and I'm interested in corp/ securities/ real estate work. Thanks!
Last edited by Nailjohnj on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: San Francisco

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:30 pm

Nailjohnj wrote:Ok, so I am a 2L top 20% + LR at a top 40 SE regional school. My GF just started talking about moving to San Fran for work and I am thinking about trying to get 1/2 my summer out there (I have accepted an offer for the other 1/2 at a mid-size corp firm in the SE). My question is, is it still possible to find 1/2 a summer in San Fran w/ career prospects? I am not looking for biglaw, I actually prefer mid/small-law and I'm interested in corp/ securities/ real estate work. Thanks!
Its certainly possible, but the combination of it being very late in the game as well as your schools being across the country regional and you having (I assume) no ties to SF is gonna make it tough, not to mention EVERYONE in CA wants the SF market along with many t14's. Find some alumni, get reciprocity for symplicity at a few schools close to SF, and hustle like hell. Its possible, but your chances are not great.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:17 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Nailjohnj wrote:Ok, so I am a 2L top 20% + LR at a top 40 SE regional school. My GF just started talking about moving to San Fran for work and I am thinking about trying to get 1/2 my summer out there (I have accepted an offer for the other 1/2 at a mid-size corp firm in the SE). My question is, is it still possible to find 1/2 a summer in San Fran w/ career prospects? I am not looking for biglaw, I actually prefer mid/small-law and I'm interested in corp/ securities/ real estate work. Thanks!
Its certainly possible, but the combination of it being very late in the game as well as your schools being across the country regional and you having (I assume) no ties to SF is gonna make it tough, not to mention EVERYONE in CA wants the SF market along with many t14's. Find some alumni, get reciprocity for symplicity at a few schools close to SF, and hustle like hell. Its possible, but your chances are not great.
This is definitely credited. However, from experience, you're going to have a tough time getting reciprocity from California schools. Even then, it's often not worth it.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Also keep in mind that split summers are VERY unusual in SF, it's usually all-or-nothing out here.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:37 pm

step one: don't call the city "San Fran". its SF or San Francisco. you will be outted as a bay area noob

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:40 pm

englawyer wrote:step one: don't call the city "San Fran". its SF or San Francisco. you will be outted as a bay area noob
Also could have said:
englawyer wrote:step one: don't call the city "Frisco". its SF or San Francisco. you will be outted as a bay area noob
Also, "The City" ftw.

augusta1985

New

Post by augusta1985 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Useful if you're planning on moving to SF:

http://www.thebolditalic.com/drewhoolho ... -francisco

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:12 pm

How are your grades, journal, etc? SF is a super competitive market.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Someone else got "the city." But that is only if you do not live in it and are referring to it.
Last edited by jarofsoup on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:33 pm

ilovesf wrote:How are your grades, journal, etc? SF is a super competitive market.
This.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:34 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Also, "The City" ftw.

Yeahhh. 8)

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:40 pm

augusta1985 wrote:Useful if you're planning on moving to SF:

http://www.thebolditalic.com/drewhoolho ... -francisco

This is awesome. Keep in mind if you are going to whimsically move to the bay area that there is the Silicon Valley, Oakland and Walnut Creek which all seem to have law firms, however, the most are in SF and SV. Besides the popular conception that SV is all IP there is a lot of corporate, Venture Cap., IPO, Private Equity, and M & A activity in the area.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”