Best and worst judges to clerk for Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best and worst judges to clerk for

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:09 am

I plan to apply fairly broadly for clerkships at the COA level and in some of the larger districts (SDNY, EDNY, DDC, EDPA, DConn, CDCA, etc). As SCOTUS isn't a possibility, I am most interested in a clerkship that would make for a good experience rather than a clerkship with the most "prestigious" judge I can find. To that end, I'd be curious to get opinions on which chambers have reputations for being good and not-so-good places to work.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Re: Best and worst judges to clerk for

Post by imchuckbass58 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:46 am

I interned at SDNY / Second Circuit and have many friends clerking on SDNY / EDNY / Second Circuit. Not comfortable posting publicly, but if you PM me, I'll let you know what I've heard about judges there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:01 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:I interned at SDNY / Second Circuit and have many friends clerking on SDNY / EDNY / Second Circuit. Not comfortable posting publicly, but if you PM me, I'll let you know what I've heard about judges there.
OP here. Just dropped you a PM. Thanks!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I plan to apply fairly broadly for clerkships at the COA level and in some of the larger districts (SDNY, EDNY, DDC, EDPA, DConn, CDCA, etc)..... I am most interested in a clerkship that would make for a good experience rather than a clerkship with the most "prestigious" judge I can find.
This doesn't really make sense. Why are you prestige whoring when it comes to where you apply (COA or competitive district) but not concerned with the reputation of the judge?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:28 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I plan to apply fairly broadly for clerkships at the COA level and in some of the larger districts (SDNY, EDNY, DDC, EDPA, DConn, CDCA, etc)..... I am most interested in a clerkship that would make for a good experience rather than a clerkship with the most "prestigious" judge I can find.
This doesn't really make sense. Why are you prestige whoring when it comes to where you apply (COA or competitive district) but not concerned with the reputation of the judge?
I'm mainly looking to be in a big city. I know that clerkships in those places tend to be the most competitive, but so it goes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:
I'm mainly looking to be in a big city. I know that clerkships in those places tend to be the most competitive, but so it goes.
Why COA then? The majority of COA judges don't sit in large cities.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:43 pm

bdubs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Why COA then? The majority of COA judges don't sit in large cities.
Some people want to clerk at COA level because it sounds interesting or are interested in doing appellate work. In other words, they want to clerk there because it would be a good job, not only because its prestigious. Alternatively, even if OP isn't concerned about "the most 'prestigious' judge," he may still want the brass ring that is a COA clerkship. He wants to hit a certain prestige level, but is not concerned about maximizing prestige.

nevdash

Bronze

Post by nevdash » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:26 pm

I externed for an amazing COA judge. PM me if you want info!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:50 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:Some people want to clerk at COA level because it sounds interesting or are interested in doing appellate work. In other words, they want to clerk there because it would be a good job, not only because its prestigious. Alternatively, even if OP isn't concerned about "the most 'prestigious' judge," he may still want the brass ring that is a COA clerkship. He wants to hit a certain prestige level, but is not concerned about maximizing prestige.
OP here. The latter explanation is about right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Detrox

Bronze

Post by Detrox » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I plan to apply fairly broadly for clerkships at the COA level and in some of the larger districts (SDNY, EDNY, DDC, EDPA, DConn, CDCA, etc). As SCOTUS isn't a possibility, I am most interested in a clerkship that would make for a good experience rather than a clerkship with the most "prestigious" judge I can find. To that end, I'd be curious to get opinions on which chambers have reputations for being good and not-so-good places to work.
With this list, and without Scotus competitive stats, the correct answer is "the one you can get." Don't throw out any judges prior to receiving the opportunity to interview with them. People with extremely competitive stats expecting multiple phone calls sat staring at a phone that didn't ring last September who went into the process with the above mentality.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:25 pm

In cdcal I have heard terrible things re morrow and king

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Detrox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I plan to apply fairly broadly for clerkships at the COA level and in some of the larger districts (SDNY, EDNY, DDC, EDPA, DConn, CDCA, etc). As SCOTUS isn't a possibility, I am most interested in a clerkship that would make for a good experience rather than a clerkship with the most "prestigious" judge I can find. To that end, I'd be curious to get opinions on which chambers have reputations for being good and not-so-good places to work.
With this list, and without Scotus competitive stats, the correct answer is "the one you can get." Don't throw out any judges prior to receiving the opportunity to interview with them. People with extremely competitive stats expecting multiple phone calls sat staring at a phone that didn't ring last September who went into the process with the above mentality.
Disagree with this. Some judges might not be worth clerking for and it's better to try and find that out before applying. (That said, this category is probably not too large.)

hiima3L

Silver

Post by hiima3L » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:10 pm

I've heard nothing but fantastic things about N.D. Cal., but I've also heard you will barely sleep if you clerk with some of them, e.g., Alsup.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:11 am

Talk to your school's career services office. They should at the very least keep records on which of their alums have clerked for who, and you can contact those who've clerked for the judges you'd consider applying to and get more meaningful feedback. Granted, almost noone is going to bash their judge and so you're going to have to read between the lines to find any negative reviews, but I imagine you'll get better and broader feedback than from TLS. Career services might also have similar data for students who interned with judges 1L summer or over the semester. At least a few schools have clerks submit a confidential evaluation of their judges that are generally pretty honest.

ClerkAnon

New

Post by ClerkAnon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:47 am

aces wrote:Talk to your school's career services office. They should at the very least keep records on which of their alums have clerked for who, and you can contact those who've clerked for the judges you'd consider applying to and get more meaningful feedback. Granted, almost noone is going to bash their judge and so you're going to have to read between the lines to find any negative reviews, but I imagine you'll get better and broader feedback than from TLS. Career services might also have similar data for students who interned with judges 1L summer or over the semester. At least a few schools have clerks submit a confidential evaluation of their judges that are generally pretty honest.
To build on this, if you need to know more about a specific judge, see whether any alum-clerks have provided their phone numbers. This can lead to a much more honest conversation than is possible via email. One judge I was considering applying to had a problematic reputation regarding his or her relations with clerks of the opposite sex - obviously, a sensitive topic, and one that no ex-clerk is going to discuss in a written evaluation. However, this judge's former clerks who were alums of my school made available their phone numbers and were willing to address this topic quite candidly in phone calls (so candidly that my inclination not to apply to this judge was confirmed, honestly).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:38 am

hiima3L wrote:I've heard nothing but fantastic things about N.D. Cal., but I've also heard you will barely sleep if you clerk with some of them, e.g., Alsup.
This. Judge Armstrong is the only judge I have heard truly negative things about. I have heard great things about all the others (including Alsup, who does apparently work his clerks incredibly hard).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”