BigLaw as a Canadian

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
brownpride

BigLaw as a Canadian

Postby brownpride » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm a Canadian starting at HLS in the fall. I'm wondering if there are any obstacles to getting BigLaw - will a firm have any preference for an American over a Canadian? Will it be willing to sponsor a Canadian to stay in the US? Thanks for any advice.

M458

Re: BigLaw as a Canadian

Postby M458 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:35 pm

brownpride wrote:I'm a Canadian starting at HLS in the fall. I'm wondering if there are any obstacles to getting BigLaw - will a firm have any preference for an American over a Canadian? Will it be willing to sponsor a Canadian to stay in the US? Thanks for any advice.

Also a 0L, so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe you do have a leg-up on other Internationals, as you're eligible for a TN (NAFTA professional worker) visa which is much easier, quicker, and substantially cheaper than an H1-B to process and "sponsor" for firms.

bdubs

Re: BigLaw as a Canadian

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:00 pm

I doubt that you will have any issues coming from HLS as a Canadian. The TN visa should help but I think US perceptions of Canadians is also fundamentally different from most other immigrants (for better or worse).

Return to “Legal Employment”