Emergency 1L SA Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What should I do?

Call her back today (Sunday, 12/23/12)
25%
Call her back Monday (Christmas Eve!)
42%
Call her after Christmas but before New Years
33%

Total votes: 12

sach1282

Emergency 1L SA Question

Postby sach1282 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:59 am

The Problem:

I applied to a number SA jobs recently and just got a voicemail from a firm I really want to work for. Unfortunately, the voicemail arrived Wednesday and I didn't get it until today because I was in Cancun. The message merely gave a name and number to call, and the zip code indicates it's a cell phone. What do I do?

Additional info:

This isn't a callback or something. I merely sent them cover letter, an unofficial transcript (with grades), resume, and writing sample. This is the first contact I've had from them since I mailed the materials. I did, however, speak with them about an internship before starting law school and really got on with their HR person, likely helped somewhat by some indirect family connections to the firm.
Last edited by sach1282 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

rinkrat19

Re: Emergency 1L SA Question

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:03 am

Call back during the day as soon as possible (Sunday is better than Christmas). Lawyers are used to getting calls on the weekend, and they wouldnt've given a cell number if they didn't want you to call a cell phone. If they don't want to answer, leave a polite voicemail explaining that you'd been out of the country and don't think about it until Wednesday. If they do answer, apologize for calling on a weekend and explain quickly that you'd been out of the country and offer to call back on Wednesday if it's an inconvenient time.

Just my opinion.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:16 am

Lots of people will work a 1/2 day on Monday, so I'd just call first thing Monday morning, but if you really want to call tomorrow, just leave a voicemail (for example, using http://www.slydial.com/)

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:31 am

This actually happened to me last year. I'd call Monday morning and leave a voicemail with your info as well as a brief explanation for the late call.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:40 am

Call Sunday afternoon (you never know if the person you are calling is religious and in church during the morning). Leave a message explaining you were out of the country if they don't pick up and offer that you will call again on the next work day after the holidays.

Agent

Postby Agent » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:14 am

I'd call on Sunday or very early on Monday. No huge difference between the two. Two reminders:
(1) Call only once—leave a message if no one answers.
(2) Take care to avoid sounding overly apologetic, nervous, or otherwise weird in the voice mail.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Call back during the day as soon as possible (Sunday is better than Christmas). Lawyers are used to getting calls on the weekend, and they wouldnt've given a cell number if they didn't want you to call a cell phone. If they don't want to answer, leave a polite voicemail explaining that you'd been out of the country and don't think about it until Wednesday. If they do answer, apologize for calling on a weekend and explain quickly that you'd been out of the country and offer to call back on Wednesday if it's an inconvenient time.

Just my opinion.

Agree.

Note also that they probably would not provide you with a number that you can only call at certain, specific times and then not tell you what those times are. Just call ASAP.

Also, I'd just say you were out of the country and not mention Cancun, but that's just me.

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:41 pm

I ended up leaving a message Sunday, she called me today and we set up an interview for Friday.

Agent

Postby Agent » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Good luck, OP.

Return to “Legal Employment”