1L SA and Externship Timing in Texas

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L SA and Externship Timing in Texas

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Short version:
If a judge calls with an externship offer, can I turn it down if I recently received a 1L SA offer? Or, assuming that the judge allows it, am I required or expected to make an "offer" to split my summer? I understand I can't renege once I've accepted, but I think it's a little fuzzier here.

Long version:
I have several firm interviews in Dallas and I am fairly confident in landing an SA (mix of school, ties, connections and offers pre-grades) but I still want to be safe and apply for judicial externships as well. However, I would really hate to give up a few weeks worth of SA money (paying close to sticker) and split my summer because I had to. Should I just wait to apply to Texas judges (state/federal) closer to the end of January or is that too late?

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, I just want to make sure I'm doing things the right way. Thanks.

kalvano

Re: 1L SA and Externship Timing in Texas

Postby kalvano » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:17 pm

Apply early. If you get an SA, contact the judge and withdraw your application and explain why. They won't be mad about that. They will if you wait until they give you an off to tell them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Short version:
If a judge calls with an externship offer, can I turn it down if I recently received a 1L SA offer? Or, assuming that the judge allows it, am I required or expected to make an "offer" to split my summer? I understand I can't renege once I've accepted, but I think it's a little fuzzier here.

Long version:
I have several firm interviews in Dallas and I am fairly confident in landing an SA (mix of school, ties, connections and offers pre-grades) but I still want to be safe and apply for judicial externships as well. However, I would really hate to give up a few weeks worth of SA money (paying close to sticker) and split my summer because I had to. Should I just wait to apply to Texas judges (state/federal) closer to the end of January or is that too late?

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, I just want to make sure I'm doing things the right way. Thanks.

Do your homework. My firm allows 1Ls to do six weeks only, so you wouldn't be giving up extra pay by splitting. I've always assumed other firms have the same policy, but I could be wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Short version:

I have a similar "problem" in a different market and would love some others to weigh in. Is the old "you never say no to a judge" rule still in effect?

Return to “Legal Employment”