Cover letter in attachment or email body?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cover letter in attachment or email body?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Question in title. If I am applying to a job by email (that is the specified preference), should my cover letter be attached to the message, or should it be in the body of the email?

Thanks!

cinephile

Re: Cover letter in attachment or email body?

Postby cinephile » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:55 pm

I've always put it in the body of the email since if you don't, you kind of have to write a cover letter for your cover letter.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:16 pm

Cover letter never matters much, but I would attach it and do a VERY short one ("I am applying, here is my info, ty ty" in the body.

The reason is your app has to get passed to a hiring committee. Printing or emailing the attachments is easier for the recipient than keeping the attachments and the body of the email together.

Agent

Postby Agent » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:01 am

I take this approach.

thesealocust wrote:Cover letter never matters much, but I would attach it and do a VERY short one ("I am applying, here is my info, ty ty" in the body.

The reason is your app has to get passed to a hiring committee. Printing or emailing the attachments is easier for the recipient than keeping the attachments and the body of the email together.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:13 pm

thesealocust wrote:Cover letter never matters much, but I would attach it and do a VERY short one ("I am applying, here is my info, ty ty" in the body.

TITCR.

hume85

Postby hume85 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:15 pm

TTRansfer wrote:

TITCR.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:28 pm

How about cover letter in the body of the email and a PDF attachment where the first page is the cover letter and the second is a resume?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:06 pm

dingbat wrote:How about cover letter in the body of the email and a PDF attachment where the first page is the cover letter and the second is a resume?

It wouldn't be awful, but it also wouldn't be ideal.

Here's the Standard Model:

Recruiting person gets your application. It goes to a small committee or even a single partner who gives a go/no-go on further interviews. When you show up, recruiting distributes your resume to each of the people who interview you. When those interviews are done, each of those people submits feedback and possibly a go/no-go, then you're either offered or not directly from the feedback or the hiring committee has another meeting.

Each of those stages may or may not require your: transcript, resume, writing sample, or cover letter. If you send recruiting each document separately as a .doc or .pdf, it makes their life easy depending on who needs what when, and makes their electronic filing system easy to use.

If you have your cover letter in the body of your email or multiple documents in one file, then for some firms with some procedures you're going to be giving HR more work. It probably won't matter, and they are probably used to it. But the "best" best is probably each document as a separate attachment in the email, for ease on the firm's end.

Return to “Legal Employment”