withdrawing job application

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

withdrawing job application

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:46 pm

What's the etiquette on withdrawing an application especially if an interview was already done? If there is any...

I accepted a position with another employer who got back to me within a day's time with an acceptance before I was able to withdraw my application with another employer who said it would take about two weeks to make a decision. They both contacted me within two days of each other, and I accepted the first offer as it was more what I wanted to do.

so basically... how do i handle this situation? :oops:

A. Nony Mouse

Re: withdrawing job application

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:51 pm

You call the person you interviewed with or who arranged your interview, and you say, "I'm calling to let you know I need to withdraw my application because I accepted another offer." It's really not complicated. (You can do it over e-mail, especially if all your correspondence took place over e-mail, but calling is more polite.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:02 pm

i guess my exasperation over the situation is more about my fear of burning bridges rather than what i should do about the situation. everyone always puts so much emphasis on networking and keeping contacts within the field.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Politely turning down a job because you've accepted another one isn't burning bridges. It's something that inevitably happens, because of course every sensible law student applies for multiple positions (and even if you weren't withdrawing for another job, applying doesn't mean you're required to take a job if offered, either). Employers understand this. And as much as everyone here is a very special, special snowflake, an employer isn't going to be offended by you withdrawing - it's not personal, and there will be lots of other highly qualified applicants to take your place.

I mean, you CAN burn bridges by withdrawing, but I'm presuming you're not going to call up say, "Eff you, suckas, I got a WAY better job than yours!"

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:53 pm

It is more "polite" to call and let them know than it is to string them along and tell you already accepted another offer if they call you back with an offer. You will also being doing another candidate a favor by taking yourself out of consideration. Just my two cents.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Withdrawing an application is no big deal. Withdrawing an offer you accepted is a much different matter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Politely turning down a job because you've accepted another one isn't burning bridges. "

Yup. I was offered a spot last summer, turned it down. Interviewed with the same place this summer and they offered before I left the office. Just be polite and professional and you'll be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”