Legal Aid or Biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

?

Legal Aid
41%
Biglaw
59%

Total votes: 39

dingbat

Gold

Re: Legal Aid or Biglaw?

Post by dingbat » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:37 pm

My 2 cents: OP should intern at Starbucks (the one around the corner)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What did you do your 1L year?
I worked for an environmental nonprofit. Thanks for the advice.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:13 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Look, OP, you don't seem to fully recognize that you are in an objectively bad position with that school, those grades, and that debt load. You're in very real danger of being unemployed when you graduate, and $100,000 in loans with no job is going to be very unpleasant. A 2L job at Legal Aid does very little to ensure you get a permanent job. They won't offer you a job at the end of the summer, and when you apply for similar jobs at graduation you're going to be competing against many, many people with much more impressive qualifications. If it's true that you can get a job in a large firm, you have a good chance to get an offer to return after you graduate. That really should be what you're worried about right now.
This is exactly what I was thinking the entire thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:What did you do your 1L year?

I volunteered with Legal Aid and was informed by an attorney there that they absolutely will not hire someone that has not actually worked as a legal clerk with them. So take that for what it's worth.
If by Legal Aid you mean Legal Aid Society, this is flat-out wrong. In this year's criminal defense class (~70 newbie lawyers), maybe five interned with Legal Aid at some point in the past. Some other legal aid organizations with small classes do tend to hire heavily or almost exclusively from their interns, though (except for lateral hiring).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”