Attire / Dress Code for SDNY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MapsMapsMaps

Attire / Dress Code for SDNY

Postby MapsMapsMaps » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:59 am

Hey everyone

Just curious if someone who has worked in SDNY can let me know what the daily dress code is? I know that I'll need a suit if I go to court, but what about daily in the office? Is it still a suit with just the jacket taken off? Or is it dress slacks with dress shirt? I know nothing whatsoever about clothes.

Obviously I could just ask, but my parents are in town and they offered to buy me some shit tomorrow... so kinda short notice, and my parents NEVER buy me anything so I gotta take advantage!

Anonymous User

Re: Attire / Dress Code for SDNY

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:26 pm

MapsMapsMaps wrote:Hey everyone

Just curious if someone who has worked in SDNY can let me know what the daily dress code is? I know that I'll need a suit if I go to court, but what about daily in the office? Is it still a suit with just the jacket taken off? Or is it dress slacks with dress shirt? I know nothing whatsoever about clothes.

Obviously I could just ask, but my parents are in town and they offered to buy me some shit tomorrow... so kinda short notice, and my parents NEVER buy me anything so I gotta take advantage!

Wear a suit every day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 pm

It depends on the judge. But generally chambers will be business formal (i.e., a suit) because you may be in and out of the courtroom.

Depending on the judge, you may be able to dress down (i.e., business casual) when there is nothing happening in the courtroom that day, or if the judge isn't in chambers.

MapsMapsMaps

Postby MapsMapsMaps » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks everyone

davisoz

Postby davisoz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:05 pm

I wore a suit everyday

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Most chambers are business casual (i.e., you can take off your jacket and tie when working in chambers), but as others mentioned you will be in and out of court a lot, so you need a suit for most days.

beardown67

Postby beardown67 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:49 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Most chambers are business casual (i.e., you can take off your jacket and tie when working in chambers), but as others mentioned you will be in and out of court a lot, so you need a suit for most days.

Is this same thing true for judicial interns? And is COA any different than D. Ct?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:52 pm

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:36 pm

beardown67 wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:Most chambers are business casual (i.e., you can take off your jacket and tie when working in chambers), but as others mentioned you will be in and out of court a lot, so you need a suit for most days.

Is this same thing true for judicial interns? And is COA any different than D. Ct?

COA is more uniformly business casual, since you're only in court every couple of weeks (at least in the 2nd Circuit). There are a few exceptions of judges that require business formal in chambers, but the majority do business casual, and some even do true casual (e.g., clerks can wear jeans and a polo).

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Oh you clerkers. I was thanked for not wearing a suit to my interview at a new media company. Jeans and a t-shirt everyday. IF only my job was as prestigious as yours...Quality of life amirite? Anywho...Suit up Everyday. Get another one if you only have 1 suit. Jos. A. Bank has a suit that will last you about a year before it is destroyed. It's not the best quality but gets the job done for the time being. Remember, it's not the quality of the suit but the tailoring that makes it look good. hth and good luck/grats

Return to “Legal Employment”