How Do I Use Law Review Note to Get a SA/Summer Position?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Do I Use Law Review Note to Get a SA/Summer Position?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:09 am

Hi All,

I am at a non-T14, on Law Review at my school, and struck out at OCI. My Law Review Note is on a topic relevant to my home state/school state (same state). Although they did not yet select who would be published, I was thinking to use the Note as a marketing tool to kind of break the ice, get foot in door, with some decent attorneys.

I have come across more than one founding/high profile partner in decent firms that have actually litigated the cases I discussed in my Note. I would like to somehow contact them with info about my Note to get their attention, and somehow parlay that into a summer position.

What would you advise? Has anyone done this?

Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle.Joe

Re: How Do I Use Law Review Note, to Get a SA/Summer Position?

Postby Uncle.Joe » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Sounds like a good networking excuse to me. It would be a good opportunity to make some connections possibly come up with some ideas to add to your note make it more publishable. As far as getting an SA through this method I don't know.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Okay, I'll take a stab at this: I know people who wrote notes on local topics who talked to local attorneys about the issues, so I think this is fairly common. If these partners have actually litigated the cases at issue, you could contact them to say something like, "I'm writing a note about cases X & Y and wondered if you'd be willing to speak with me about them, to the extent you can within the bounds of confidentiality." Then you can get an inside perspective about the issues as well as make a connection. If your note is already totally complete, you could always send it to them saying something like, "I thought you might find this interesting and if you have some spare time I'd love to meet with you to get your feedback."

As for parlaying it into a summer position - I don't think it's any different than with any other connection; talk to them, ask about their work, express interest in their area of law, and if that's going well, slip into the conversation that you're still looking for work and if they have any advice you'd appreciate it. Obviously you don't walk in saying, "Hi, here's my note, hire me!" If you're looking for a SA for next summer, well, I don't know how that would work - it would probably depend entirely on the firm and whether they filled their class. But the connections will still be valuable.

odon59

Postby odon59 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:31 am

That comma makes your subject sentence grammatically incorrect. You might want to proof read your note just once more...

Anonymous User

Re: How Do I Use Law Review Note to get a Summer Position?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:59 am

odon59 wrote:That comma makes your subject sentence grammatically incorrect. You might want to proof read your note just once more...

lol thanks, fixed. Any other advice?

Return to “Legal Employment”