Late 1L for summer search. help! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Late 1L for summer search. help!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 pm

hey all

so unlike a good amount of u who already had their stuff together by earlier in the semester, im hustling now to get unto the 1L job search.

1) when i hear mass mailings, are a lot of you doing actual snail mails? I assume this is mostly for judges right? for government agencies and firms dont we mostly do it through symplicity?

2) when firms ask for "unofficial transcript" i assumed it was fall semester grades but i read someomeone mentioning undergrad transcripts, which is it?

3) some places require "referrals", i guess recommendations. do most reputable agencies/firms require such things?

any advice from everyone would be appreciated. thank you all.

Anonymous User

Re: Late 1L for summer search. help!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:34 pm

1. Yes, snail mail, or alternatively email. Not that many people get jobs through Symplicity.
2. Fall grades only. A few firms (Cravath) will ask for your undergrad transcript, but most won't.
3. No, but some very well-known firms do require references. It varies from firm to firm. Generally no NY firms require references, but some elsewhere do.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Don't stress too much. Might be tough to snag a 1L SA gig this late (it's always tough to snag a 1L SA gig), but most places haven't even started looking at apps yet. February through early April is a pretty common time for 1Ls to get internships.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:29 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:38 am

replies are much appreciated

how much reaching out do people usually do? i will also assume the gentleman on the bottom was correct in that e-mail/electronics is sufficient for govt/firms

is it really like 100 mailings on average? that sounds like so much considering i havent done any mailing out (nor have i pinpointed what i want)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:02 am

What do you want to do? It sounds like you are going to waste a bunch of time applying to anything and everything.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:18 am

FWIW: our OCS has told us not to think about it till after finals. *le shrug*

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:11 am

You're not late, silly child.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:40 am

thesteelers wrote:You're not late, silly child 1L.

FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:07 am

northwood wrote:
thesteelers wrote:You're not late, silly child 1L.

FTFY
sometimes there is no difference.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:20 am

this is true

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:32 am

well, thanks again for the replies lol.

i just asked about the 100+ thing because ive been reading some threads and maybe this is crazy TLS principles but kids are talking about sending a crapload of letters out.

i know that firms are almost impossible to get 1L...whats next? are government agencies just as difficult? what do most students reasonably get?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:47 pm

It's stupid to start sending shit into firms without grades. I would have to think something like that would hurt you more than help you. It's already insanely hard to get a 1L SA position, but a firm may get annoyed at you for sending in a resume and such without grades. Talk about wasting their time.

You aren't late at all, so don't worry.

As mentioned, you will not need undergrad transcripts for any firm except a few top flight NY firms. And those are insanely hard jobs to grab in the first place (well, any 1L SA position is).

Don't freak out if you don't land a SA gig. The vast majority of your 1L peers will also not be working as a summer associate this summer. Just go, have fun, and get some experience. If you can find a position where you actually write legal documents, this will be even better for you and you can talk about it during 2L OCI. Firms love to know that you have actually written something that is going to the court (or at least to a partner or man in charge for review).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:well, thanks again for the replies lol.

i just asked about the 100+ thing because ive been reading some threads and maybe this is crazy TLS principles but kids are talking about sending a crapload of letters out.

i know that firms are almost impossible to get 1L...whats next? are government agencies just as difficult? what do most students reasonably get?
Most students get unpaid positions. You'll likely be working with some local attorneys or with some local government organization. A lot of people I knew got jobs at places like legal aid, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:58 pm

thanks

what tools do students use usually?

i am using the typical symplicity and also will be attending our schools public services on campus event (where public or nonprofit organizations come to interview)

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hey all

so unlike a good amount of u who already had their stuff together by earlier in the semester, im hustling now to get unto the 1L job search.

1) when i hear mass mailings, are a lot of you doing actual snail mails? I assume this is mostly for judges right? for government agencies and firms dont we mostly do it through symplicity?

2) when firms ask for "unofficial transcript" i assumed it was fall semester grades but i read someomeone mentioning undergrad transcripts, which is it?

3) some places require "referrals", i guess recommendations. do most reputable agencies/firms require such things?

any advice from everyone would be appreciated. thank you all.
December 19th is not "late" in the summer job hunt.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thanks

what tools do students use usually?

i am using the typical symplicity and also will be attending our schools public services on campus event (where public or nonprofit organizations come to interview)
Have you talked to your CDO? You sound remarkably clueless about where and how to look for jobs. I also still have no idea what you want to do, and unless you tell us the advice anyone can give you will only be marginally useful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:24 pm

thanks,

1)i have talked to my CDO, and she basically just gave us two resources (symplicity + arizona guide) to do job searching.

2) in terms of what i want to do. Honestly, I am so open to anything, as long as it is legitimate (meaning legal work). i would like to lean
towards something related to business transaction related (or anything of the sort...corporate, PE, blah blah), but i realize this is limited.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”