1L w/ interviews seeking your advice please

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L w/ interviews seeking your advice please

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:09 pm

Hello,

I have been on these forums for quite sometime, but just created my account for the first time. I am seeking interview tips for my scheduled interviews over winter break, as well as your opinions on what looks best on a resume for a 1L summer. One is for an unpaid political internship and the other is for the DOJ. Additionally, I also have a midlaw SA interview with a private law firm I was employed at prior to starting law school (paralegal). I enjoyed the culture of my firm, but I think I have more of a passion for government work. I am just unsure what type of questions I will be asked, so anyone with relevant interview experience please help me out with my preparation. I attend law school in New York City. Thank you for your help and your time.

pixystics

Re: 1L w/ interviews seeking your advice please

Postby pixystics » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Here's a great tip I was given by my OCS: be prepared to talk for at least 2 minutes after each question.

It's an obvious rule of thumb, but not always followed. Most interviewees tend to give short 30 second answers to questions, but it's important to elaborate and highlight your skills with EVERY answer. Bring everything back to your value and goals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:52 pm

pixystics wrote:Here's a great tip I was given by my OCS: be prepared to talk for at least 2 minutes after each question.

It's an obvious rule of thumb, but not always followed. Most interviewees tend to give short 30 second answers to questions, but it's important to elaborate and highlight your skills with EVERY answer. Bring everything back to your value and goals.

Thank you for your response. What type of questions are typical for these 1L positions? I am not even sure I want to spend my life in NYC (high COL), but I will take what I can get while in school. Any opinion on what looks better on the resume?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:50 pm

What "looks" best on your resume is the work you would like to do (or at least tried out). If you are passionate about the type of law you intend to practice it will come through on your cover letter, resume and interview.

Trying to sound passionate about a job you took to just because it "looked good" on your resume will come off sterile. An experienced attorney can smell the B.S. a mile away.

Concentrate on your grades and getting on Law Review. The other journals simply don't count UNLESS it's your passion.

Starting to get it? Good luck.

pixystics

Postby pixystics » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 am

How's your first year going?
What's your favorite class?
What's your least favorite class?
What did you do at -----?
How did you get into ------?
Do you know what type of law you're interested in?
How do you like New York?
How did your first set of exams go?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:42 am

Don't forget: why did you go to law school?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:57 pm

pixystics wrote:How's your first year going?
What's your favorite class?
What's your least favorite class?
What did you do at -----?
How did you get into ------?
Do you know what type of law you're interested in?
How do you like New York?
How did your first set of exams go?

LOL at assuming that everyone is interviewing in NYC. This question comes up sometimes but it's least likely to be asked in NYC (relative to other markets).

The biggest question that you need to prepare for is "Why this firm?" and "What can I tell you about working here?" Come up with a list of open ended questions that show you know something about the firm.

pixystics

Postby pixystics » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:43 am

Actually, I got that question a lot when interviewing, especially since I'm not from New York. Firms want to know you actually want to be in New York.

Return to “Legal Employment”