Pushing the limits for a 1L diversity position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pushing the limits for a 1L diversity position

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:23 pm

I am not a racial/ethnic/sexual minority so this has greatly limited the opportunities I am finding for 1L work. Many of the diversity postions, however, say they define diversity very broadly and I am wondering if it is worth it to push the issue and apply to some of these. I have had a very adverse background, my father was a drug addict and I was homeless for a period of time but worked my way through undergrad, took advantage of the companies tuition reimbursment program, and saved for law school. I don't want to look like a d-bag tryin to squeez in but in this market I don't want to miss out on any opportunities?

Re: Pushing the limits for a 1L diversity position

Postby 2014 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:40 pm

You have nothing to lose. Economic diversity is not nearly as persuasive or readily apparent as others, but I think with a good sales job you could at least get in the door for an interview. Most likely they will turn you down and ask you to apply next year for a 2L spot, I really can't picture anything worse happening.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:09 pm

how are you going to work that into a cover letter?

Golden Bear 11

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how are you going to work that into a cover letter?

Diversity 1L positions usually require a personal statement in addition to cover letter

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:23 pm

IIRC, most 1L diversity SAs explicitly include economic diversity as a type of diversity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:12 pm

OP Here
Thanks for the responses. Yes all the positions I have looked at require a personal statement around 500 words asking how you might contribute to the diversity of the firm. The ones I have looked at do not specificly identify economic diversity and these are firms I definetly want to apply to for 2L SA, so my biggest concern was making myself look bad if they remember it next year like "ha ha ha this is that straight white guy who applied for the diversity position last year what a dweeb." But I think im gonna go for it...

pixystics

Postby pixystics » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 pm

You shouldn't downplay the diverse perspective you bring to the table. You can get your foot in the door with diversity programs as long as you have a good personal statement describing your background and how you overcame it. I have friends that are white males that have full law school scholarships based on their economic adversity. Feel free to forward your personal statement if you'd like someone to take a look at it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:47 pm

thanks pixystics I will take advantage of your offer as soon as I get something thrown together...I am glad to hear there is hope

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Does anyone have a list of 1L diversity opportunities?

melbelle

Postby melbelle » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:16 pm

dingbat wrote:Does anyone have a list of 1L diversity opportunities?

This list should get you started: http://www.blueprintjd.org/careerboard/category/1L/

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:23 pm

melbelle wrote:
dingbat wrote:Does anyone have a list of 1L diversity opportunities?

This list should get you started: http://www.blueprintjd.org/careerboard/category/1L/

Thanks - now I've got my homework set for the next few weeks

Return to “Legal Employment”