Exhausted 2L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exhausted 2L

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:24 am

OK, so this hell of a semester is finally over, but I am finding myself in a similar situation to many other 2Ls, and I don't know what to do about it. I'm top 20% at lower T1 + law review. I have accepted an OCI offer and asked for 6 weeks b/c the firm is in a city that I didn't really want to be in and I wanted to split. That said, the firm itself is perfect, mid-sized corp and it pays well for a mid-sized firm in a small market. I had some other lines in the water, including what I thought was a sure thing, but it all kinda fell through and I have now made it to Christmas break w/ 6 weeks free in the summer. Because the last half of the semester was an absolute whirlwind, I haven't had time to get anything else out there. My questions is - where do I go from here? I mean, is there any shot at me finding something for those 6 weeks and where should I be looking? I am most interested in corp/ securities/ real estate, would like a mid/big city, and prefer midlaw over biglaw (which I guess doesn't matter since the biglaw boat has probably sailed).

Any help putting me back on the right track after this exhausting semester would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

kryptix

Re: Exhausted 2L

Postby kryptix » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:32 am

Why not just ask the firm for more weeks?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:33 am

Based on what you're saying, my first call would be to your current summer firm, telling them that your split has fallen through and asking if you can extend to the full 10, 12, whatever.

Who knows - you might absolutely love it.

If you're burned out already, spending time, money, and energy on what will likely be a high-effort, low-result job search might be best served for 3L year. Take the bird in the hand, ride it out, and if you hate it or the market, then look into a switch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 am

OP here - unfortunately, I the firm has taken on another SA in the division I am working in, so I don't think extending with them is going to be an option. This is what happens when you try to get too cute with choices.

Also, I am not turned off looking for a job, I just didn't plan my time right to end the semester, which made it a nightmare

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here - unfortunately, I the firm has taken on another SA in the division I am working in, so I don't think extending with them is going to be an option. This is what happens when you try to get too cute with choices.

Also, I am not turned off looking for a job, I just didn't plan my time right to end the semester, which made it a nightmare

Did you ask yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:57 pm

As someone with similar stats who struck out at OCI at a T30, I would take the bird in hand and try to extend your summer at the firm. If you don't want to do that and are just looking to kill time/network in another city, I bet you could find a non-profit org to hire you without too much trouble.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:03 pm

All else fails, you could try to hit up a professor for an RAship for 6 weeks, preferably a professor who professes expertise in a field connected to your SA work.

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:57 pm

Just out of curiosity did you talk to anyone before you decided to split without anything? For godsakes try and get recruiting to give you a full summer. There is no way it will help your chances if you they ask you where your splitting and you say an RA position.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:57 am

I think your safest and really only bet is to ask for a full summer at your current firm. Just be really nice and non-assuming about it, explain that your other position fell through. That way even if they say no, they'll know why you split your summer doing an RA position.

If you have some networked connections, they maybe worth trying, but otherwise I don't think you're going to find anything. There are people with considerably superior stats (no offense-- my stats aren't any better than yours) who are mailing every damn firm in the US for the third time just trying to get their first job. Especially considering how late in the game it is, I don't think you'll find any firms that want to take you on for 6 weeks, invest the time/resources in you and risk the chance that you'll go with your other firm when there are so many other eager applicants out there.

Hope it all works out for you!

Return to “Legal Employment”