Schiff Hardin

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Schiff Hardin

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:31 am

Looking to find out how working at Schiff Hardin is from anyone who may have experience, either as a summer or an associate. Chicago office or satellite offices, just want to know what your experience was like. How was the management, how were the attorneys you worked with, how closely did you work with other offices, firm culture, overall impressions, etc. -- just want to find out more.

Anonymous User

Re: Schiff Hardin

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:38 am

Nobody knows anything about this firm? :| Even anecdotes would be helpful at this point

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:37 am

Will be summering there this summer and can provide limited information. Why do you ask and what do you want to know?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:19 pm

I had a callback with their Chicago office a few months ago. The partner that screened me would always contact me via phone or email at like 8 or 9pm, and looked every bit the part of someone being overworked. I remember one of the partners I interviewed with came off as painfully arrogant, I just could not stand him. Also, the associates who took me to lunch had never met each other before, which I consider a sign of poor office culture. Overall there was a sense of stuffiness and insecurity permeating every floor of their pretty sweet digs in the Sears Willis Tower. This is all anecdotal of course, but everyone I knew from my class that interviewed there decided to turn down the offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Everyone I met with was friendly and easy going. Firm is focused on litigation but is growing their transactional practices. Their interview process can rub people the wrong way as it has a panel interview component that is much less focused on "personality" fit than other firms. Panel is more like interviewing with a normal business and includes lots of with behavioral questions. Can be intimidating for law students who have never interviewed for a non-law job.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:53 pm

I will also be summering at Schiff - turned down an offer from a several V20 (satellite) offices to go there, because I thought they really emphasized fit and the associates I met seemed to have a good work-life balance, which is very important to me. I didn't find any of the attorneys I met to be stuffy or arrogant, but quite the opposite - I thought they were the most grounded and laid-back firm overall of any of the firms I had callbacks with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:16 pm

stay away from this firm if you want to get an offer- they are notorious for no-offering people for bs reasons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm

Heard the same as poster above. Also heard that last summer they gathered their SAs together and said, "not all of you will get offers" creating a cut-throat mentality among the summers that made it nearly impossible for them to be friendly with each other. I'll admit this is only a rumor and something I heard from a friend who had a friend who summered there. (Chicago)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 pm

Spoke with a former summer who said the summers got along well. 7/8 offered in chi this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Does anyone know about the offer rates/culture of any of the satellite offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:stay away from this firm if you want to get an offer- they are notorious for no-offering people for bs reasons.

Is this just the Chicago office or a firm-wide thing? Also, is this recent or a bad rep from the past (i.e. 2008-09 or before)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:stay away from this firm if you want to get an offer- they are notorious for no-offering people for bs reasons.

can anyone else attest to this? does anyone know what offer rates were like in the satellite offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:

can anyone else attest to this? does anyone know what offer rates were like in the satellite offices?

Would like to know also for various personal employment reasons.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Would like to know also for various personal employment reasons.

I.E. you have an SA there.

9/12 got offers in 2011. 5/8 in Chicago, 2/2 NYC 2/2 SF and 0/0 ATL

Too small numbers to make a judgement about NYC and SF.

Return to “Legal Employment”