What would you do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What would you do?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:50 am

I will be attending a top law school outside of HYS next fall and I was wondering if it would be wise and advisable to contact the only large law firm (100 lawyers) where I live (you know to get to know them). Its founder actually went to the same school I'm planning to attend. Though, most of the graduates they hire are from a regional law school. I just thought I could try to meet with someone to "ask" them if they had anything for a prospective law student. They probably won't but at least I'll meet them, chat and whatever. Too soon to start networking?

Also, I have some family members that work as executives (3rd in command) in a billion dollar revenue company. I have met the head of the legal department before and even hung out with them at a party. I would like to let them know I'm interested in a position after I graduate. However, I don't know them that well, and I really don't want to ask the people I know for help. I also don't want to come off like this recent graduate punk that wants to take advantage of his network. What would you do?

BarbellDreams

Re: What would you do?

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:01 am

This is basically 0% risk, 100% reward. You should absolutely meet with them and ask questions about their industry, law school tips, who hires who and why, tips for interviews, what the every day job is like, etc., etc. , etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:17 am

I just noticed this thread doesn't belong here...

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I will be attending a top law school outside of HYS next fall and I was wondering if it would be wise and advisable to contact the only large law firm (100 lawyers) where I live (you know to get to know them). Its founder actually went to the same school I'm planning to attend. Though, most of the graduates they hire are from a regional law school. I just thought I could try to meet with someone to "ask" them if they had anything for a prospective law student. They probably won't but at least I'll meet them, chat and whatever. Too soon to start networking?

Worth a try. A friend of mine at HYS did this - emailing an alum at the major law firm in his hometown for a chat about law school, practicing law in their town, etc - and ended up with a job offer for his 1L summer before he even started law school.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:51 am

I did this except I contacted based on undergrad in the market. My undergrad was a small liberal arts type school where people are pretty loyal. Worked well had a few lunches, and a associate from the firm in the market that I want to work at told me that he would be personally handing my resume to the employment committee come next year. There's nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain.

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:I will be attending a top law school outside of HYS next fall and I was wondering if it would be wise and advisable to contact the only large law firm (100 lawyers) where I live (you know to get to know them). Its founder actually went to the same school I'm planning to attend. Though, most of the graduates they hire are from a regional law school. I just thought I could try to meet with someone to "ask" them if they had anything for a prospective law student. They probably won't but at least I'll meet them, chat and whatever. Too soon to start networking?

Also, I have some family members that work as executives (3rd in command) in a billion dollar revenue company. I have met the head of the legal department before and even hung out with them at a party. I would like to let them know I'm interested in a position after I graduate. However, I don't know them that well, and I really don't want to ask the people I know for help. I also don't want to come off like this recent graduate punk that wants to take advantage of his network. What would you do?

What would I do? I did it.

While in undergrad I came across an article about a guy who I felt could have been me at 60, assuming I get to 60. Same hometown, same starting point, same awards and accomplishments, same hobbies, same career goals, we had just that much in common. I figured hey, I'll research him a bit more, if for no other reason than to say,"OMG that too!" Yep! I did it. I went to his website, found his email address, and figured I'd send him an email. Talk about obsessed. I had a good reason, right? I wanted to know if he would give me, a junior in college, pointers on what it took to get to where he was in his career. I typed an email and "please don't think I'm a douche...please don't think I'm a douche...please don't think I'm a doooooooouche" I hit send. Five minutes later I received an email from him. He wanted me to call him. Holy shit-balls! At the end of our conversation I had a summer internship on the Hill with one of the coolest old farts anywhere! Oh, and I got a generous stipend as well, which is rare for DC interns, especially undergrads.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:20 am

People seem to be willing to help out a friend of a friend in this type of situation, especially if you don't handle it poorly. Basically what Barbell says

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:25 am

Do it, but don't be weird.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:02 am

Best case scenario - you win before you even start the game (see examples in this thread)
Worst case scenario - you wasted a few minutes typing up an email*

*actually, worst case scenario you lack the social graces of a feral skunk, stalk the guy to the point of him calling the cops on you and you destroy your career before you started. Let's assume you're not a raving psychopath, though, and that just isn't going to happen

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks all! The success stories are really encouraging. It's good to know that doing this won't be awkward or somehow wrong for a 0L

Oh and I'm not a psychopath... I think...

Return to “Legal Employment”