post-d ct. clerkship options

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

post-d ct. clerkship options

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Currently in year one of a two-year district court clerkship in a large city (not NYC or Chicago). The more I think about it, the more I think I don't want to go the big-firm route after the clerkship. I also got no-offered at my 2L firm (as did 1/3 of my summer class) so I don't have anything lined up anyway. I think I might eventually want to go to the USAO but I know how crazy competitive that is. What are some options for me that aren't a big firm but that are prestigious enough that they could lead to USAO eventually? I attended CCN and graduated in top 1/3 but no honors or journal. Are the government hiring freezes really going to screw me over? Pretty much everyone has been telling me that if i want USAO I have to go to a firm for at least 3-4 years, which sounds absolutely miserable to me.

TIA

ExBiglawAssociate

Re: post-d ct. clerkship options

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:11 pm

How did you get a d. ct. clerkship with top 1/3 grades? Connections?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Yeah, a family friend is friends with the judge. Are you implying though that top 1/3 at CCN is under-qualified for d. ct? Guess I got really lucky

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:12 pm

Probably best for you to just "suck it up" and work at a big law firm for a few years. Most AUSA positions I have seen are not open to non-Department of Justice employees, but it depends on the office.

Return to “Legal Employment”