What to wear to law firm Christmas party?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to wear to law firm Christmas party?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:51 pm

2L here with an SA at Quinn. They invited us to their Christmas party, which is Saturday. It is at a pretty nice restaurant. What should I wear?

I am a little confused, because Quinn is so casual. I doubt a suit of any kind would be appropriate. Is a white shirt and non-conservative/chic tie ok? Would a shirt and sweater combination be better? Any other ideas?

Ludo!

Re: What to wear to law firm Christmas party?

Postby Ludo! » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Post example of the kind of chic tie you are thinking of

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Flip-flops, plaid shorts, "NO FAT CHICKS" tank top.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Dress like you don't have autism.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Post example of the kind of chic tie you are thinking of

Something wintery and non-conservative like this: http://products.tdcdn.netdna-cdn.com/23 ... -245-0.jpg

or this:

http://www.bows-n-ties.com/images/ties/ ... md_BNT.jpg

note: the use of "chic" is not to call myself fashionable, but i meant a non-conservative tie that's not a stupid novelty tie.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:00 am

Santa costume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:28 am

wearing a tie to a quinn function is really gauche; i didn't even wear a tie on my quinn cb FFS. i would go shirt/slacks if you're in NY and shirt/nice jeans if you're in LA/SF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:wearing a tie to a quinn function is really gauche; i didn't even wear a tie on my quinn cb FFS. i would go shirt/slacks if you're in NY and shirt/nice jeans if you're in LA/SF.

thanks

Postby 20130312 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:07 am

V neck sweater over button down shirt. Preferably a tacky Christmas sweater.

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:10 am

Tweed. It's Christmas for fuck sake.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:14 am

I think QE people are well aware of the difficult position newcomers to the firm are in, so I think your first step is simply to recognize that whatever you choose, even if it's far more or far less casual than what others are wearing, they won't be offended.

Considering the party is at a nice restaurant, t-shirt and jeans type stuff probably wouldn't be appropriate even if it's firm appropriate. It sounds to me like your simplest and safest bet would basically be business casual. Dress shirt, slacks, no tie is fine. I think some QE people still dress business casual even at the office (hell some people dress business casual at home), so you should definitely be in the clear. Wear an appropriate v-neck sweater over it if you have one and you think it looks good/is comfortable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:wearing a tie to a quinn function is really gauche; i didn't even wear a tie on my quinn cb FFS. i would go shirt/slacks if you're in NY and shirt/nice jeans if you're in LA/SF.

thanks

If you want to fit in, wear cocktail attire like the invitation told you to (i.e. suit & "chic tie" as discussed above if you're a guy). No one will really care though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:59 am

Err on the side of formality. It's kind of like addressing people as Mr. or Mrs. when you know they're going to let you call them by their first name. You'd much rather be labeled as the guy who wore a suit than the screwball who wore jeans. Not knowing anything about Quinn, but given the comments, my $0.02 is suit, no tie.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Speaking as someone who was actually at the Quinn SF party (it was December 1st), this advice is off.

No one wore a tie, but the vast majority of guys were actually in suits. A few were wearing jeans/blazer combos, but they were way outnumbered. Women were in cocktail dresses mostly.

I know that it's Quinn and all, but at least at the SF party people actually dressed up.

Return to “Legal Employment”