Jobs prior to graduation/bar a good idea?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarPrepSux

Jobs prior to graduation/bar a good idea?

Postby BarPrepSux » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:31 pm

I have heard some people on campus talk about jobs lined up to start either prior to graduation or right after but before the bar exam. I know that sounds like a good idea since its lined up work, but I also hear we need around 500 or more hours of bar prep to be fully prepared for the exam and work would obviously take up a lot of that time.

Any thoughts on the subject?

LawIdiot86

Re: Jobs prior to graduation/bar a good idea?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:10 pm

BarPrepSux wrote:I have heard some people on campus talk about jobs lined up to start either prior to graduation or right after but before the bar exam. I know that sounds like a good idea since its lined up work, but I also hear we need around 500 or more hours of bar prep to be fully prepared for the exam and work would obviously take up a lot of that time.

I had friends who worked fulltime while going to BarBri at night and I had friends who did nothing but study for the bar. Both groups passed. Also, where did you hear that you need around 500 hours of studying to pass the bar (not be "fully prepared")? You need to figure out how many hours of studying you need to pass the bar and how comfortable you are playing the probabilities of getting the exact passing score required to figure out how many hours you will study.

Anonymous User

Re: Jobs prior to graduation/bar a good idea?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:05 pm

BarPrepSux wrote:I have heard some people on campus talk about jobs lined up to start either prior to graduation or right after but before the bar exam. I know that sounds like a good idea since its lined up work, but I also hear we need around 500 or more hours of bar prep to be fully prepared for the exam and work would obviously take up a lot of that time.

I have spoken to many attorneys on this subject practicing in many different areas of law with many different credentials. Almost all have said, unsolicited: don't work while studying for the bar exam.

Return to “Legal Employment”