3Ls - Salary advance/bar stipend?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3Ls - Salary advance/bar stipend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:32 pm

For 3Ls whose firms are giving them salary advances or stipends for next summer, do you know around when we'll be getting the money? Is it sometime spring semester or in the summer, or does it vary from firm to firm? TIA.

Anonymous User

Re: 3Ls - Salary advance/bar stipend?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Also, is it acceptable to reach out to recruiting and ask for information on this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:42 pm

General it's on the offer sheet. For example, Latham gives a $15k stipend (pre-tax).

I would say if it is a major market firm then asking shouldn't be a big deal. I have no idea if asking a smaller market firm is acceptable or not (things seem to be different in the smaller markets).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:41 pm

I don't know if it will help because I'm in the Mid-West in a Medium Law Firm (225+ attorneys), but between me and three other friends that have similar jobs, all 4 of our firms have said that salary advances would be paid on May 1st. Which makes sense since they are suppose to help you get through the summer while you study for the bar. Additionally, this is definitely something you should be able to ask the recruiter they usually are super excited to tell you about the perks of becoming an associate with his/her firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Definitely ask the recruiter, they'll be happy to answer. For point of reference, it was not in my biglaw offer letter. I also heard sometime around May.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Chicago firm. They sent an email and letter out 2 weeks ago saying we would receive our summer stipends in the middle of May.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:General it's on the offer sheet. For example, Latham gives a $15k stipend (pre-tax).

I would say if it is a major market firm then asking shouldn't be a big deal. I have no idea if asking a smaller market firm is acceptable or not (things seem to be different in the smaller markets).

I believe Latham's go out on 4/15. No idea whether similar firms' do as well though.

Return to “Legal Employment”