2L SA and fall grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2L SA and fall grades

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:54 pm

arizonairish wrote:I have what may be a really dumb question.

But I noticed this is labeled "Fall Grades." My understanding is that they will ask for a transcript once both Spring and Fall grades are in together, or request a fall grade ahead of time?

My understanding (please someone with more knowledge correct me if I'm wrong) is that this varies by firm and maybe office as well. Some ask for fall grades alone, some ask after both fall and spring are in.

(And maybe some don't ask at all except for a final official transcript? That sounds unrealistic because it seems like any firm would want at least a cursory look before they gave you a full time offer. But I'm not sure.)

-2L Anon at 4:08

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 pm

They ask for a release in the spring, if they ask at all. Nobody is going to lose their summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:11 pm

So I'm wondering the same thing. Firm in question is a very large firm in Boston that has a traditional 100% offer rate that they pride themselves on. I'm afraid that I really bombed (like possible B-/C+ bombed) one of my exams. The class isn't worth too many credits, so it should really affect my GPA too much, I'm more worried that just having a C+ on my transcript at all will look bad. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Really should make a new thread regarding grades and the effect that has on permanent offer. This thread is about losing yur summer because of grades which does not happen.

Also people should investigate whether their firm even asks for grades before freaking out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They ask for a release in the spring, if they ask at all. Nobody is going to lose their summer.

So some firms don't ever ask for grades at all until after they give you a permanent offer, and want a final official transcript?

I'm wondering for the same reasons as 11:11 anon: I don't think my overall GPA will take that much of a dive, but I might bomb a class or two.

Re: above anon -- if we've established that no one loses their summer, then I think it's natural to discuss the other issue. Don't want to ask about my firm in particular because it doesn't seem to have a strong TLS presence, so outing is an issue. Upthread I said I'd be interested generally if anyone has any info on NY lower V100 requests.

-4:08.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:09 am

At my firm (V50 NYC), they asked us for transcripts prior to the end of the summer, and it seemed part of the evaluations into permanent offer. That being said--work product over the summer seemed to matter significantly more. I had a couple bad grades in my 2L year (although my GPA rose slightly overall) and these were never mentioned in my offer call.

I get the impression that grades start to matter more when your work product is suffering as well.

Return to “Legal Employment”