Laptops/Smartphones for non-big law clerks?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Laptops/Smartphones for non-big law clerks?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:44 pm

Any idea if non-biglaw firms issue laptops or smart phones for their 2L or 3L clerks (in training to be associates at the firm)?

imchuckbass58

Re: Laptops/Smartphones for non-big law clerks?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea if non-biglaw firms issue laptops or smart phones for their 2L or 3L clerks (in training to be associates at the firm)?

Well, considering most biglaw firms don't issue laptops to their regular associates, let alone their summers, I imagine the answer to that is no.

As for smartphones, it probably depends on the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:57 pm

I got a Blackberry as a 2L SA in NYC. It was useless for most, if not all, of us.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:59 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any idea if non-biglaw firms issue laptops or smart phones for their 2L or 3L clerks (in training to be associates at the firm)?

Well, considering most biglaw firms don't issue laptops to their regular associates, let alone their summers, I imagine the answer to that is no.

Pretty much this. RE Laptops: I had to seriously sweet-talk a girl in the IT department to get one issued to me as a first year associate, and I worked between two offices in two states. RE smart-phones: you don't want one. I promise. Cherish the time you have before being chained to an iPhone. Cherish it. Furthermore, you don't need one. Summers are useless anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:59 pm

I got a blackberry and a laptop as a SA. V5 firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here.

oh wow didnt know all of this at all, thanks everyone! so are you just supposed to do your work on your own laptop or do you work at a desktop?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here.

oh wow didnt know all of this at all, thanks everyone! so are you just supposed to do your work on your own laptop or do you work at a desktop?

Used my blackberry often. Desktop is where the majority of the work was done though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:07 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:

I don't think this is right about most biglaw firms... I definitely had a laptop and a blackberry as an SA at a DC firm and I was issued a laptop as a federal law clerk. And, most associates I know were issued laptops and blackberries.

-DoubleClerk

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:

I don't think this is right about most biglaw firms... I definitely had a laptop and a blackberry as an SA at a DC firm and I was issued a laptop as a federal law clerk. And, most associates I know were issued laptops and blackberries.

-DoubleClerk

Maybe it varies by market / firm. In New York for instance I know Cleary and Wachtell do, but I know Cravath, Debevoise, Davis Polk do not. I'd say the majority of my friends who are first years do not have laptops from work, but some do.

I'd add though that firms that don't issue laptops usually give you a technology budget to buy your own laptop.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Summers at my firm didn't get phones, but we got the option of having laptops (it was discouraged, though, because they didn't want us working from home too much). All of the associates at the firm are issued laptops and get a phone stipend of something like $60 a month so they can just use their personal phone for email. If they were really opposed to using their personal phone for work, they got a bb.

V100

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I definitely had a laptop and a blackberry as an SA at a DC firm and I was issued a laptop as a federal law clerk. And, most associates I know were issued laptops and blackberries.

-DoubleClerk

Federal law clerk here, and no laptops issued - theoretically possible to get one for a specific period of travel or whatever, but they're not standard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I definitely had a laptop and a blackberry as an SA at a DC firm and I was issued a laptop as a federal law clerk. And, most associates I know were issued laptops and blackberries.

-DoubleClerk

Federal law clerk here, and no laptops issued - theoretically possible to get one for a specific period of travel or whatever, but they're not standard.

I'm sure it varies by judge/court, but everyone I knew in my courthouse had a laptop issued to them.

-DoubleClerk

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

-DoubleClerk

I'm sure it varies by judge/court, but everyone I knew in my courthouse had a laptop issued to them.

-DoubleClerk

Yeah, not questioning that it happens - just making that point, that it varies.

Return to “Legal Employment”