Working More than 20 Hours per Week Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working More than 20 Hours per Week

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:41 pm

I am considering an internship that would require more than 20 hours per week for next semester. I could feasibly make this work by taking night or Friday classes. I know the ABA recommends only 20 hours per week, but is there a tangible problem with doing this (i.e., could my school sanction me or stop me from doing this)?

Pokemon

Gold

Re: Working More than 20 Hours per Week

Post by Pokemon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:28 pm

I am glad that you provided the most important details that anyone needs in answering your question.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 am

Your school won't try to lower its own "% students employed" reporting. Not in this climate. My school didn't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:39 am

As someone who works more than 20 hours a week and is a full-time student, I don’t think you will have a problem. In fact, I don’t think your school will even know. My school had no idea until I told an academic advisor. She did not care at all. You should think about whether it is smart to work over 20 hours a week as a full-time law student, however. It is hard. 20 hours does not seem like a lot, but it is when you are in law school. I have a girlfriend and other obligations and sometimes law school takes a backseat to other priorities of mine. I would not consider it unless you are going to be paid and paid well (at least $15 an hour, I’m doing it for $27 and would not suggest doing it for less then $20).

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am considering an internship that would require more than 20 hours per week for next semester. I could feasibly make this work by taking night or Friday classes. I know the ABA recommends only 20 hours per week, but is there a tangible problem with doing this (i.e., could my school sanction me or stop me from doing this)?
What year in law school are you? If 1L, do not do it (grades). If 2L/3L, do you already have an SA/full time offer lined up? Could this internship turn into a full time gig after law school?

I'm pretty sure the 20 hour cap is a firm rule and not a recommendation (although I'm not 100% sure). My school is very big on it--they make you sign a statement at the beginning of each school year that you will not work more than 20 hours per week, which obviously could have C&F implications if you purposefully violated it and they found out (although I don't know how they would). Is this a legal internship? If you're not getting paid, could you just try to get credit for it and obviate this whole issue?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:17 pm

In retrospect, I would have worked all throughout 2L and 3L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:01 pm

OP here. To Pokemon: nice snark, but I did provide all the relevant details. Whether I am 2L/3L, what school I'm at, what my class rank is, where the job would be, etc., are all irrelevant. All I want to know is whether this would cause tangible problems, which would be the same regardless of the answers to the questions I've listed. What I wanted was to know if there would be issues like the potential C&F problems brought up by zomginternets. My school does not make me sign a statement saying I won't work more than 20 hours per week, I just know that it's a general recommendation. Therefore, I don't think it would implicate C&F issues in the way you imagine zomginternets.

So what I'm gathering is that regardless of whether it's a good idea, it's not something that'll cause me tangible harm. Right?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 pm

ABA Standard 304(f): "A student may not be employed more than 20 hours per week in any week in which the student is enrolled in more than twelve class hours."

This goes to whether the school gets ABA accreditation, which is why a school might care (i.e. it's an ABA rule, but it's up to the school to enforce). No one here knows whether your school cares about this kind of thing or not, but I think people do it all the time, if they know their school won't find out. I'm not sure what exactly a school would/could do if it did find out, but if they could bring some kind of disciplinary thing, that would be a hassle and potential C&F issue (even if you don't sign a form saying you won't do it). I also suspect that if you're doing a legal internship in your school's market, there's a reasonable possibility it would be discovered (but again, we can't know that as well as you can). I'm with the suggestion to do the internship for credit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:32 pm

OP again. I can't get credit for the legal internship due to annoying school rules. Trust me, I've looked into it. If I'm reading the ABA standard correctly, however, I could work more than 20 hours per week if I am enrolled in only twelve credit hours. Correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:52 pm

What an extraordinarily stupid rule.

OP: I know several people who worked for a firm "part-time" during the school year. The job almost always ended up being more than 20 hours. Nobody cared.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:57 pm

timbs4339 wrote:What an extraordinarily stupid rule.

OP: I know several people who worked for a firm "part-time" during the school year. The job almost always ended up being more than 20 hours. Nobody cared.
Good to know! Thanks!

Camenae

New

Post by Camenae » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Go for it OP. Nobody will know unless you specifically make a point to tell them, and even then they won't care. Not like people put on their resumes how many hours per week they work next to the positions. That's just for school applications.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”