My Story

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: My Story

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Sheffield wrote:
Pokemon wrote:I realize that less than 10% make biglaw.

Not exactly. When you research the T-10/14 what you find is that +60% of grads end up with large firms. . . figure all around $160K. Plus, during your first two/three summers you earn +10K a month for 3 months. What other profession gives you that kind of immediate return for your efforts?

FWIW: Another +10% receive with Federal Courtships.

Is this true? In my experience at Columbia/NYU, something like two-thirds of students end up with either a market-paying job or an AIII clerkship, but my understanding is that at some of the lower-ranked T14, the odds are much worse.

Also, very few folks get a biglaw SA 1L year (less than 10%) and almost noone does one 3L year (you do get a bar stipend, but that's obviously less than $30K), so you realistically only get one summer of making bank during law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Edit: Nvm, was able to google the answer to my question. sorry.

Postby Wholigan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:27 pm

sadsituationJD wrote:
I'm really quite tired of people with disdain for insurance defense. I left Biglaw in the recession of 1991, and landed in ID, and became a non-equity partner, and then went in-house. ID was great. You did not do busy work just to overbill. Your clients were reasonable (as it was not their money). The insurance carriers did not freak out if you lost a motion or case, as they know you win some and lose some. I never made more than $125,000 in ID, but I never worked more than 50 hours a week on average. In Biglaw, I never got to take a deposition or argue a motion. In ID, I did it all the time. In Biglaw, I never got to trial. In ID, I did every year or two. The best part is that ID gave me enough time to start a side business that I really enjoy that has generated $50,000 of side income every year. ID gave me the time to start a family, where Biglaw did not. ID is what the practice of law should be -- a comfortable six figure salary after 10 years, with enough time to enjoy life and family. Biglaw is a ponzi scheme where you get $200,000 for 3 years, and then are unemployable, with no deposition, law and motion, or trial experience.

This has to be the most ROTFL-worthy post I've seen in years! Are you the dean of a TTT per chance?

ID is a sewer, joke, and utter laughingstock. 125 K? In ID? Surely you jest! I know two dozen ID schlubs in their mid-fifites who are lucky to pull down 70, and that's for a 55-65 hour week of paper-churning, bottom-scraping shitlaw.

Bragging about your experience with ID "trials" and "depositions" is also hilarious. You really believe asking some Bronx welfare queen about her supermarket slip n' fall or trying some cervical sprain whiplash case for Allstate counts as "expereince" that is marketable to non-ID firms/employers?

Just take a look at the turnover rates at ID mills like Wilson Elser- this tells u everything you need to know about the gulag of ID.

If he is talking about making $125k after he went in-house, that could be possible after staying around for a while and getting a few promotions. However, this is BS:

Your clients were reasonable (as it was not their money).

Your client is the defendant "in name only." As an ID lawyer, most of the time you meet the client for the first and only time at the deposition. And sometimes you never meet you "client." The reality is that the client is the insurance company, it very much is their money, and they care about it. I'd be fairly sure they scrub the bills much more carefully than most biglaw clients.

Postby Myself » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:00 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby AssociateX » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:33 am

Any update on the OP ?

Return to “Legal Employment”