Landed 2L SA, now how to land the job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Landed 2L SA, now how to land the job?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:23 am

I landed a SA position through OCI at my school with a medium sized firm (150-300 attorneys) in a major market (LA, DC, CHI, NY). They took two SA’s for the summer. I have no idea what their hiring plans are.

Here is my concern: I have absolutely no connections outside of the ones I made as a 1L, went straight through undergrad, and I’m not on moot court or law review. I have garbage grades that are unlikely to improve (bottom-ish of my class). So this is my one shot. The other 2L SA they hired is top 20% of her class at a T-14, law review, etc.

How do I make sure I get the offer, other than just by working my butt off (a given, of course)? Are there good threads of wisdom already in existence?

Re: Landed 2L SA, now how to land the job?

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Use the search function.

Re: Landed 2L SA, now how to land the job?

Postby thesealocust » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:15 pm

This comes up all the time.

In a nutshell: Mistakes of inexperience are to be expected, mistakes of laziness, sloppiness, or attitude will get you in hot water quickly. Be punctual and communicate if problems arise. Make an effort to be outgoing when the opportunity arises (invitations to social events, lunches, etc.) but don't get paranoid about it. Always remember that on the job, your credentials are meaningless - an ability to learn, eagerness, and a cordial enough personality to not make people dislike working with you are what you must bring to the table.

Return to “Legal Employment”