Lateraling into SV

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
billpax

Lateraling into SV

Postby billpax » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Second year associate at a Midwest IP boutique, focusing mostly on patent pros. Considering heading west (SV/Bay Area) and transitioning over to litigation. I have a pretty good idea the firms I would like to end up at. However, I have no networking connections at any of them.

Would it be worth it to mass mail and/or cold these firms? Or should I just get a headhunter?

Also, are there any resources for identifying the better/more reputable headhunters? I'm getting numerous calls from headhunters, but its difficult to get a feel for who would work best for my situation.

TIA

Old Gregg

Re: Lateraling into SV

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:11 pm

Considering heading west (SV/Bay Area) and transitioning over to litigation.

Probably too late to switch practice groups.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:07 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Considering heading west (SV/Bay Area) and transitioning over to litigation.

Probably too late to switch practice groups.

You might have potential opportunities -- especially at a general practice firm, someone who understands patent prosecution is at a premium. On the other hand, it seems like anyone who lateraled from patent prosecution, inc. a friend of mine at my firm, did so really early, like up to 1-2 years of starting out, which is basically where you're at now. After that, the value of what you add versus the cost of you not having any lit experience will cancel out. Of course there's also the factor that my friend also works way longer and harder, and has a ton more stress than he ever did in prosecution.

billpax

Postby billpax » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not too concerned about my ability to transition to litigation. I'm just starting my 2 second year, so I don't think its too late. Regardless, my real question is whether it is beneficial to reach out to firms on my own? Or whether I should just go with a headhunter?

I suppose I could initially reach out on my own and see where that gets me. But I'd rather not waste my time and/or hurt my chances later on once a headhunter gets involved.

Return to “Legal Employment”