How many paper copies of clerkship letters of recommendation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How many paper copies of clerkship letters of recommendation

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:48 pm

How many district judges accept applications by mail? I planning to apply broadly, so what would be a safe number of copies to request from my professors?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: How many paper copies of clerkship letters of recommendation

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:59 pm

It totally varies. Make your list of judges and then check on OSCAR (or with your career office) to see who takes paper apps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It totally varies. Make your list of judges and then check on OSCAR (or with your career office) to see who takes paper apps.
I'm an alum and I'm applying to judges as they open up their positions, so I have no idea how many applications I will end up filing.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:39 pm

Well, it still totally varies - I don't think anyone can give you a set number, especially not knowing how many judges you plan to apply to. I realize you're applying as they open up, but how many are you willing to apply for, total? I think you just have to make an estimate and then just get that number of copies.

My school had a system for faculty letters (for alumni, too) where the faculty assistant got an electronic file of the basic letter, and you submitted the judge's names/addresses in a file the assistant could use to mail merge, and then the assistant printed the letters and sent them to you/the judge - so you just got letters as you needed them. This way you didn't have to know ahead of time how many you needed. Even if your school doesn't have a system like that in place, find out if your profs are willing to do something like that. I realize it's not as simple for non-prof letters, though.

(though I like red shirt guy's answer.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

noxhil

New

Post by noxhil » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Unless it says on OSCAR that they don't accept paper applications, assume that they do. You could also try calling chambers I guess

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:38 pm

1 copy in a sealed envelope per recommender per judge.

So, 10 judges with 2 recommenders equals 10 copies of each LOR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”