Another SEC question :)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Marie34

Another SEC question :)

Postby Marie34 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:51 am

Sorry if they're have been these types of questions in the past, but I'm look to apply to SEC 1L program as soon as it opens (which hopefully will be today). Couple of quick questions though:

1) Since its my first year in school, when they ask for a transcript, should I wait until my first semester grades come out?
2) On the cover letter, do you think its better to cater it toward a specific division you think you're best matched for, or better to just address it to the organization as a whole?

Plus, I'be rewritten my cover letter over about ten times. If anyone wouldn't mind reading it and giving suggestions I'd really appreciate it!

LOLyer

Re: Another SEC question :)

Postby LOLyer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:02 pm

Not having a semesters grades in 1L = worthless to apply to anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:19 pm

LOLyer wrote:Not having a semesters grades in 1L = worthless to apply to anything.

This is not true at all. I'm not sure about the SEC specifically but there are plenty of 1L positions that get filled before grades come out.

I had a friend in 1L who got an internship with a USAO before grades were posted. It wasn't a prestigious office like SDNY or anything, but you get the point. Even places that needed grades jumped on those who had already applied as soon as they got grades. I waited until grades were out, and despite excellent (top 10%) grades I didn't secure anything until April. A lot of places were just already full.

Grades don't matter nearly so much for a lot of 1L spots because you're all new and it's not a job interview.

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LOLyer wrote:Not having a semesters grades in 1L = worthless to apply to anything.

This is not true at all. I'm not sure about the SEC specifically but there are plenty of 1L positions that get filled before grades come out.

I had a friend in 1L who got an internship with a USAO before grades were posted. It wasn't a prestigious office like SDNY or anything, but you get the point. Even places that needed grades jumped on those who had already applied as soon as they got grades. I waited until grades were out, and despite excellent (top 10%) grades I didn't secure anything until April. A lot of places were just already full.

Grades don't matter nearly so much for a lot of 1L spots because you're all new and it's not a job interview.

Still disagree. Vehemently. The employer is almost always going to want to see your grades, unless (1) you go to schools like HYS or (2) you have personally met the employer - and even in those situations I imagine it's rare that they hire you before knowing how competent you are. Applying before you get your grades could easily result in them forgetting about you when it comes time to actually make the decision.

Also, it's not a job interview? What kind of interview is it then?

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I found this to be true. I personally know that fed court externships (district court and COA) will interview and even make offers without grades in. The worst that can happen is that they shelve your app until your grades come out, and will be reminded of you when you send your grades to them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:18 pm

LOLyer wrote:Still disagree. Vehemently. The employer is almost always going to want to see your grades, unless (1) you go to schools like HYS or (2) you have personally met the employer - and even in those situations I imagine it's rare that they hire you before knowing how competent you are. Applying before you get your grades could easily result in them forgetting about you when it comes time to actually make the decision.

Also, it's not a job interview? What kind of interview is it then?

You can disagree as vehemently as you want, but you're dead wrong.

It's not any kind of interview at all. It's free training and experience they're giving you. 2L internships are often used as job interviews, but it's widely understood that 1L internships don't lead to offers of employment unless the employer says they will. Since it's understood that you're not trying out for a job, many places care very little about 1L grades.

Return to “Legal Employment”