"Temporary" clerkship openings logistics Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Temporary" clerkship openings logistics

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:25 pm

There is a clerkship that opened up from February 2013-September 2013 in my top choice District.

I need to call to see if there's a potential to expand that to more but what I was wondering is how temporary clerkships work with jobs that require clerking experience and how it works with clerkship bonuses.

Assuming there is no possibility to renew from September 13-September 14, would the 7 months qualify me for a clerkship bonus at firms? Would it tend to satisfy a federal clerkship requirement?

Thanks!

anon168

Silver

Re: "Temporary" clerkship openings logistics

Post by anon168 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is a clerkship that opened up from February 2013-September 2013 in my top choice District.

I need to call to see if there's a potential to expand that to more but what I was wondering is how temporary clerkships work with jobs that require clerking experience and how it works with clerkship bonuses.

Assuming there is no possibility to renew from September 13-September 14, would the 7 months qualify me for a clerkship bonus at firms?

This is firm dependent. You need to ask your firm, or firms that you're interested in.
Anonymous User wrote:Would it tend to satisfy a federal clerkship requirement?
What is a "federal clerkship requirement"?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:11 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would it tend to satisfy a federal clerkship requirement?
What is a "federal clerkship requirement"?
The only one I know is that to apply for a USAO gig through DOJ Honors, you have to have had a federal clerkship. I don't know if the OP means that or if s/he's thinking of firms that tend to only hire clerks.
OP here: There are firms that require federal clerkships. I imagine the answer there is "firm dependent" as well. I suspected as much, but didn't know if anyone here had experience in a similar situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Another worthwhile consideration might be the lack of benefits that typically come with a clerkship lasting less than a full year, e.g., no health insurance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another worthwhile consideration might be the lack of benefits that typically come with a clerkship lasting less than a full year, e.g., no health insurance.
OP: thanks for that. I'm not coming straight through though so I'd have some savings and be able to pay for it independently. It would suck but it's doable!

theaccidentalclerk

Bronze

Post by theaccidentalclerk » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:07 am

Some things to think about:

1.) Some judges will insist that you identify the clerkship as a temporary one so as not to "dilute" the resume value of a "real" clerkship. Most won't.

2.) If you're ever applying for jobs, you'll need to be ready to explain why you only clerked for seven months. Though that's not so hard with a clerkship starting in February.

3.) Most judges who are looking for temporary clerks -- especially at the district court level -- want someone with clerking experience. There's generally about a three month ramp-up period, so if they hired a newbie for a six or seven month stretch, half of that would be spent teaching the clerk what to do.

4.) That said, if you did get the job, it would give you a huge leg up in that district for a full year (or two) clerkship, assuming you did a decent job.

Hope this helps...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”