Heard Back for 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:25 pm

jbiresq wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
2014 wrote:Got my first rejection!

Personal email from a partner telling me that he would love to have me apply for real OCI next year haha


I guess that's one benefit of emailing the partner vs. the recruiting coordinator. They probably check email much more often.


It's a lesson you'll learn throughout job searches: the more you skip HR/Recruiters the better you'll be


Eh, I don't agree with this. I think you should contact the person their website or NALP tells you to contact. I did this and was very successful for a mass mailer.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 2014 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Two somewhat positive replies from Texas firms today.

tamereth
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:10 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby tamereth » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:04 pm

2014 wrote:Two somewhat positive replies from Texas firms today.

Dang bro, doing pretty good for yourself.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 2014 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:16 pm

tamereth wrote:
2014 wrote:Two somewhat positive replies from Texas firms today.

Dang bro, doing pretty good for yourself.

Dw I'll still strike out lol

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 005618502 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:19 pm

When you guys get the "your application is under review"

you dont respond do you? With a "great, thank you for your consideration" email or something

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:23 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:When you guys get the "your application is under review"

you dont respond do you? With a "great, thank you for your consideration" email or something


No, but you're supposed to reply and tell 'em to hurry the f!@# up.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 005618502 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Well, I think I messed up. Sent my application to Baker Botts online, and must have missed the *Undergraduate Transcripts to attach for 1Ls. Well, there is an auto ding. How are you suppose to attach that, any ideas?

Do I have to order one, scan and save it in?

User avatar
AmoryB
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby AmoryB » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Keep hanging in there. After 7 rejections, just got my first interview invite.

tamereth
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:10 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby tamereth » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:25 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Well, I think I messed up. Sent my application to Baker Botts online, and must have missed the *Undergraduate Transcripts to attach for 1Ls. Well, there is an auto ding. How are you suppose to attach that, any ideas?

Do I have to order one, scan and save it in?

Wait, they wanted undergrad transcript?? Well fuck.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 005618502 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:28 pm

AmoryB wrote:Keep hanging in there. After 7 rejections, just got my first interview invite.


Congrats! its still really early. Mind saying which market?

User avatar
AmoryB
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby AmoryB » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks, it's also a secondary midwestern market. Sorry if this has been answered but do (non-NY) firms typically wait until grades are in before they make decisions? I know the answer is yes for NY, but I didn't know if this holds true elsewhere.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:03 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:Well, I think I messed up. Sent my application to Baker Botts online, and must have missed the *Undergraduate Transcripts to attach for 1Ls. Well, there is an auto ding. How are you suppose to attach that, any ideas?

Do I have to order one, scan and save it in?


Pretty sure that wasn't there on Dec 1st, I applied and I'm positive it didn't require one. Plus, it's starred which means the system wouldn't let you submit an application without it. They must have added it recently.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 005618502 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Well, I think I messed up. Sent my application to Baker Botts online, and must have missed the *Undergraduate Transcripts to attach for 1Ls. Well, there is an auto ding. How are you suppose to attach that, any ideas?

Do I have to order one, scan and save it in?


Pretty sure that wasn't there on Dec 1st, I applied and I'm positive it didn't require one. Plus, it's starred which means the system wouldn't let you submit an application without it. They must have added it recently.


Yeah I was thinking about that looking again, noticing the astrick beside it. I may get my UG transcripts in the comp and just submit again. Not sure

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 2014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:44 am

Give it a few more days imo, it's not like spots are gone yet

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
renardthecrocs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not hiring 1Ls

Drinkle Biddle Reath
Hancock
Arnold & Porter
Allred Bacon
Baker Mckenzie
Alston Bird
Bricker Eckler
Baker Hostetler
Eckert Seamans
Squire Sanders
Ulmer Berne
GableGotWals
Hiscock Barclay
Dickstein Shapiro


Alston & Bird in at least one office told me they may be hiring 1Ls - limited spots, but not a "not hiring 1Ls firm." Can confirm Squire Sanders, though.


Katten Muchin Rosenman (I think NY...)
Bingham McCutchen (DC)


Fox Rothschild is a no, I believe firmwide

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 2014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Got three snail mail replies yesterday from various markets, not all of them rejections (Why would you send a transcript request by mail, this is in fact the 21st century). Just a reminder to start checking your mail or have your parents do so if you used their address.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Right now

20 no 1L's/ dings
10 under review, please send transcripts
1 interview

120 still out...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:52 pm

2014 wrote:Got three snail mail replies yesterday from various markets, not all of them rejections (Why would you send a transcript request by mail, this is in fact the 21st century). Just a reminder to start checking your mail or have your parents do so if you used their address.


I have been told multiple times that snail mail is the way to go, although email is okay these days too. So I assume some firms still abide by that tradition.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 005618502 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Also got a couple snail mail. My first snail mail ding from an office I was pretty hopeful for too

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:27 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Also got a couple snail mail. My first snail mail ding from an office I was pretty hopeful for too


Legit ding or sorry no 1Ls ding?

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby chem » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Also got a couple snail mail. My first snail mail ding from an office I was pretty hopeful for too


Legit ding or sorry no 1Ls ding?


All of my snail mail have been legitimate dings, though i suspect its really no 1Ls in action, just a standard form they send

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 005618502 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Also got a couple snail mail. My first snail mail ding from an office I was pretty hopeful for too


Legit ding or sorry no 1Ls ding?


Yeah, it was legit. Seemed to imply they were only looking for minority candidates without saying it. I am at a T14, have WE in that market and had a perfect GPA from the major university there... so I dont think it was an individual thing.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
renardthecrocs wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not hiring 1Ls

Drinkle Biddle Reath
Hancock
Arnold & Porter
Allred Bacon
Baker Mckenzie
Alston Bird
Bricker Eckler
Baker Hostetler
Eckert Seamans
Squire Sanders
Ulmer Berne
GableGotWals
Hiscock Barclay
Dickstein Shapiro


Alston & Bird in at least one office told me they may be hiring 1Ls - limited spots, but not a "not hiring 1Ls firm." Can confirm Squire Sanders, though.


Katten Muchin Rosenman (I think NY...)
Bingham McCutchen (DC)


Fox Rothschild is a no, I believe firmwide

Add Debevoise & Plimpton to the list

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:39 pm

2014 wrote:Personalized partner response with invitation to schedule a visit to a firm where I'll be introduced to some attorneys and learn more about the firm.

Sounds like a kind of sort of call back, I'll take it :)


Congratulations! What firm (or at least what city)? I'm interested in Indy, Stl or KC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:15 pm

Applied to about 50 places. Haven't heard anything from 43 of them.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.