Heard Back for 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 20130312 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:25 pm

Sav wrote:I am trying to decide between four offers I have: Knobbe Martens (prosecution mainly), Kilpatrick Townsend (prosecution mainly), Jones Day (lit), and Covington (EE lit). I would greatly appreciate any insights you may have on how best to make this decision for my 1L summer.

I would recommend finding a nice tall bridge.

Postby 005618502 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:29 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Sav wrote:I am trying to decide between four offers I have: Knobbe Martens (prosecution mainly), Kilpatrick Townsend (prosecution mainly), Jones Day (lit), and Covington (EE lit). I would greatly appreciate any insights you may have on how best to make this decision for my 1L summer.

I would recommend finding a nice tall bridge.

Eh, hes EE, what are you gonna do. OP, can you split? I know the 2 firms I am at let me do 6 weeks each. Then you could do Covington and Knobbe

walnuto

Postby walnuto » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:03 am

Which offices for Kilpatrick, JD, and Covington? Makes a big difference.

Sav

Postby Sav » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 am

?
Last edited by Sav on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walnuto

Postby walnuto » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:28 am

Sav wrote:
walnuto wrote:
All 4 are the SF office. What difference does it make and why is that important?

Because Covington's DC office would be the knee-jerk choice. Sorry, I don't have much info on SF.

Sav

Postby Sav » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:39 am

!
Last edited by Sav on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sav

Postby Sav » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:55 am

?
Last edited by Sav on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:30 am

Ding from Jackson Walker's Houston and Dallas offices.

Applied for somewhere around 70-80 1L SA positions in my home market and two major markets. One interview (which I believe was simply a courtesy interview in my home market considering the firm did not typically hire any 1Ls ) and the rest dings/radio silence. I expected it (median at MVP), but still a bit discouraged. Good luck to everyone with opportunities still open.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding from Jackson Walker's Houston and Dallas offices.

Applied for somewhere around 70-80 1L SA positions in my home market and two major markets. One interview (which I believe was simply a courtesy interview in my home market considering the firm did not typically hire any 1Ls ) and the rest dings/radio silence. I expected it (median at MVP), but still a bit discouraged. Good luck to everyone with opportunities still open.

Basically exactly the same. Wish I was from TX, the ones who are lifers cleaned up here, while the 2 UT undergrad-only kids I know had a rough time. Think I am going to make my cover letters even more firm-specific than they were for summer mass mailing; I got 4 screeners and a CB but absolutely nothing but rejections out of the (admittedly awful) market I really wanted.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:25 pm

walnuto wrote:
Sav wrote:
walnuto wrote:
All 4 are the SF office. What difference does it make and why is that important?

Because Covington's DC office would be the knee-jerk choice. Sorry, I don't have much info on SF.

Yeah I thought that it was the DC office as well. I dont know that Covington is the clear winner if its the SF office.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 pm

I could be wrong, but I think Covington is one where their DC office is MUCH stronger than the rest. I would talk to people at your school (I am assuming Stanford?) The work at Skadden will be good in SV, but not as high caliber as NYC (this is just a guess). whenever you can, you want to be at a firms HQ office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:49 pm

Got a callback at a firm in NYC via a connection. Connection was strong so I bypassed the screener. Problem is, i'm below median at MVP. I don't know when and even if they're going to ask for my transcript, but will this just straight up ding me or can I pull it off with a good interview?

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a callback at a firm in NYC via a connection. Connection was strong so I bypassed the screener. Problem is, i'm below median at MVP. I don't know when and even if they're going to ask for my transcript, but will this just straight up ding me or can I pull it off with a good interview?

If I say no, will you not try in your interview? Who cares. Go kill it. It is what it is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:44 pm

goldeneye wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a callback at a firm in NYC via a connection. Connection was strong so I bypassed the screener. Problem is, i'm below median at MVP. I don't know when and even if they're going to ask for my transcript, but will this just straight up ding me or can I pull it off with a good interview?

If I say no, will you not try in your interview? Who cares. Go kill it. It is what it is.

Yea i agree its a stupid question. I'm gonna do the best I can but I'm just trying to be somewhat realistic about it at the same time too.

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 pm

Just go do your best and say you'll improve your grades if they come up. You know what you need to do... etc.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:25 am

Dont worry about grades even if they do ask you for a transcript still go in there confident. You go to a good school. Just make sure you try harder this year (even if you worked hard, work harder).

The answer also depends on the firm though. Some NYC firms will take to median and below especially with a strong connection. Some will not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:14 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:

Dont worry about grades even if they do ask you for a transcript still go in there confident. You go to a good school. Just make sure you try harder this year (even if you worked hard, work harder).

The answer also depends on the firm though. Some NYC firms will take to median and below especially with a strong connection. Some will not.

OP here. Went in confident and just got the offer. Stay positive below median-ers!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 pm

JD Dallas and BB Houston offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:JD Dallas and BB Houston offers

This is relevant to me. What school?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is relevant to me. What school?

UT. I had to turn both down because I'm committed for the summer so I assume they're moving through their respective lists.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is relevant to me. What school?

UT. I had to turn both down because I'm committed for the summer so I assume they're moving through their respective lists.

Relevant to me as well. About how long between CB and offer? Just trying to gauge how long it might be before I hear something/how far down the list I might be if on it at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Relevant to me as well. About how long between CB and offer? Just trying to gauge how long it might be before I hear something/how far down the list I might be if on it at all.

JD Dallas - ~3 weeks from CB to offer. I was told they were waiting because they had committed to doing Spring OCI at UT and were holding at least some openings until after that.

BB Houston - Never had a CB. Did a screener on campus in late January. I was invited to the happy hour following it and spoke with attorneys there but that was my last communication with them until now. I was told that they've just been approved to offer additional spots to 1Ls so I assume they're going to get offers out as fast as they can (because so many people are already committed elsewhere) rather than do additional CBs.

This probably outs me but I don't see how this would be sensitive information.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Relevant to me as well. About how long between CB and offer? Just trying to gauge how long it might be before I hear something/how far down the list I might be if on it at all.

JD Dallas - ~3 weeks from CB to offer. I was told they were waiting because they had committed to doing Spring OCI at UT and were holding at least some openings until after that.

BB Houston - Never had a CB. Did a screener on campus in late January. I was invited to the happy hour following it and spoke with attorneys there but that was my last communication with them until now. I was told that they've just been approved to offer additional spots to 1Ls so I assume they're going to get offers out as fast as they can (because so many people are already committed elsewhere) rather than do additional CBs.

This probably outs me but I don't see how this would be sensitive information.

I hope you only turned these offers down for other paid work....

Also, what was your impression of JD Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:29 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote: I hope you only turned these offers down for other paid work....

Also, what was your impression of JD Dallas?

Yeah, I was already committed to paid work for both halves in Texas.

JD Dallas - People were really friendly, it seems super collegial. I thought the offices were really nice too. A couple of things rubbed me the wrong way though. I don't personally like how secret the salaries and bonuses are. It kind of weirds me out that there's a big firm wide "council" that makes partnership decisions. But every firms going to have positives and negatives.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:27 am

Deleted

Return to “Legal Employment”