Heard Back for 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here.

Just want to recommend that all you 1Ls contact general counsels and in-house attorneys at Fortune-500 companies. Also, remember that each subsidiary probably has its own general counsel & attorneys. There is a book called "the directory of corporate counsel" that can help, plus your career services should have a database.

Working in house you'll get to meet many different attorneys at many different firms, which is great come 2L OCI. I choose an in-house over a firm offer 1L summer and have never regretted it.


This actually sounds like a great idea! Will do! Do you think they look for anything in particular though? mostly re:grades?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 pm

So if a firm dings but says that they like your resume/background, should I take that as encouraging, or just typical fluff? (in case anyone wonders, I do have an impressive resume)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:11 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L here.

Just want to recommend that all you 1Ls contact general counsels and in-house attorneys at Fortune-500 companies. Also, remember that each subsidiary probably has its own general counsel & attorneys. There is a book called "the directory of corporate counsel" that can help, plus your career services should have a database.

Working in house you'll get to meet many different attorneys at many different firms, which is great come 2L OCI. I choose an in-house over a firm offer 1L summer and have never regretted it.


This actually sounds like a great idea! Will do! Do you think they look for anything in particular though? mostly re:grades?


OP here. Actually most, including the F-100 that hired me, never asked for my grades. Most in house places don't have a formal review process. Just set up a phone appointment with whoever you want to talk to and get them to give you a job.

I guess my advice is this for the next seven days spend one hour/ night on a making your resume & cover letter look really really really good (formatting, etc.). Find a really good template and work from that. Be sure to order really nice cloth paper (crane.com) and matching envelopes. Have them professionally printed and make sure the water mark is facing the correct way. Hand address the envelopes w/ the right kind of pen (a "le pen" or a fine point sharpie). After your 7 hours, you should have a resume should be better than everyone else's.

For the next 14 days, apply to 10 places per day every day. Start a spreadsheet to keep track of everything. After 14 days, apply to 3 places per day and spend the rest of the time following up with 10 places per day. Keep doing that until you have a job. Don't stop until you have a job.

When you get interviews make sure your shoes and tie are subtle and very expensive, too expensive. You can have an inexpensive suit if it has been tailored for you by an actual tailor (not the brooks brothers guy or the guy at nordstroms, an actual tailor with his own shop). You wear very nice black, cap toe oxford (not blucher) shoes (black, not patent, no perforations of quarter brogue, bar lacing, polished, no plastic or rubber soles . . . all leather). Order a tie from Drakes, but in a pinch brooks brothers or a nice Ralph Lauren will do. Do not wear a button down collar. Use a little V5 to keep your hair in place. For the interview, carry a leather folio and a nice pen. Basically, you want to look really really good without looking at all flashy . . . flashiness raises resentment. (I checked out some alan flusser books on suits and menswear from the city library that before interviews and I think they helped me present a put-together image.)

Here's my philosophy. A quality tie, quality shoes, and a well-fitted suit (even if it's cheap), and a nice folio and pen show taste. A really well put-together resume show that you can put something together that looks good. The general counsel will think, "i can definitely bring this guy into a board room and have him interact w/ clients without being embarrassed."

People don't get jobs because 1) their resumes, when quickly glanced at, don't look good, 2) they don't send out a steady stream of resumes, 2) they don't follow up, 3) they look sloppy in an interview, or 4) they don't act confidently. Avoid these 4 pitfalls and you will get a 1L job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:12 am

dingbat wrote:So if a firm dings but says that they like your resume/background, should I take that as encouraging, or just typical fluff? (in case anyone wonders, I do have an impressive resume)


fluff. it's just a form letter.

You should be encouraged if you are getting 5 or 6 rejections per day every day, because that means you are sending out enough resumes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 am

What is enough applications? I'm top five people in my class at a T1 in VA/SC/NC/TN. I have eight major firm interviews at OCI, applied to 12 others major firms through alumni, and then like 20-30 federal judge/court of appeal judge/nonprofit/public defender/DA/in house intern positions. It seems like 40-50 apps should yield at least two offers? These are all in state and I have strong ties.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is enough applications? I'm top five people in my class at a T1 in VA/SC/NC/TN. I have eight major firm interviews at OCI, applied to 12 others major firms through alumni, and then like 20-30 federal judge/court of appeal judge/nonprofit/public defender/DA/in house intern positions. It seems like 40-50 apps should yield at least two offers? These are all in state and I have strong ties.


Don't count your chickens before they are hatched. Send out at least two or three new applications each day. If you feel like you've exhausted one market start branching out into a new one. Even if you're #1 in your class at a t-14, you should keep sending out applications until you have an offer. This year people in top-10% at MVP w/ law review struck out at 2L OCI. . . I bet they wished they'd done more.

Don't think about it as a quota you must hit, think about it as an hour/ day you are going to spend looking for a job until you have one in your hand.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 am

have you guys gotten any emails from firms that say, in spite of no 1L sa positions available, would like to invite you to lunch?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:have you guys gotten any emails from firms that say, in spite of no 1L sa positions available, would like to invite you to lunch?

yup

User avatar
fingerscrossedxx
Posts: 733
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2L here.

Just want to recommend that all you 1Ls contact general counsels and in-house attorneys at Fortune-500 companies. Also, remember that each subsidiary probably has its own general counsel & attorneys. There is a book called "the directory of corporate counsel" that can help, plus your career services should have a database.

Working in house you'll get to meet many different attorneys at many different firms, which is great come 2L OCI. I choose an in-house over a firm offer 1L summer and have never regretted it.


This actually sounds like a great idea! Will do! Do you think they look for anything in particular though? mostly re:grades?


OP here. Actually most, including the F-100 that hired me, never asked for my grades. Most in house places don't have a formal review process. Just set up a phone appointment with whoever you want to talk to and get them to give you a job.

I guess my advice is this for the next seven days spend one hour/ night on a making your resume & cover letter look really really really good (formatting, etc.). Find a really good template and work from that. Be sure to order really nice cloth paper (crane.com) and matching envelopes. Have them professionally printed and make sure the water mark is facing the correct way. Hand address the envelopes w/ the right kind of pen (a "le pen" or a fine point sharpie). After your 7 hours, you should have a resume should be better than everyone else's.

For the next 14 days, apply to 10 places per day every day. Start a spreadsheet to keep track of everything. After 14 days, apply to 3 places per day and spend the rest of the time following up with 10 places per day. Keep doing that until you have a job. Don't stop until you have a job.

When you get interviews make sure your shoes and tie are subtle and very expensive, too expensive. You can have an inexpensive suit if it has been tailored for you by an actual tailor (not the brooks brothers guy or the guy at nordstroms, an actual tailor with his own shop). You wear very nice black, cap toe oxford (not blucher) shoes (black, not patent, no perforations of quarter brogue, bar lacing, polished, no plastic or rubber soles . . . all leather). Order a tie from Drakes, but in a pinch brooks brothers or a nice Ralph Lauren will do. Do not wear a button down collar. Use a little V5 to keep your hair in place. For the interview, carry a leather folio and a nice pen. Basically, you want to look really really good without looking at all flashy . . . flashiness raises resentment. (I checked out some alan flusser books on suits and menswear from the city library that before interviews and I think they helped me present a put-together image.)

Here's my philosophy. A quality tie, quality shoes, and a well-fitted suit (even if it's cheap), and a nice folio and pen show taste. A really well put-together resume show that you can put something together that looks good. The general counsel will think, "i can definitely bring this guy into a board room and have him interact w/ clients without being embarrassed."

People don't get jobs because 1) their resumes, when quickly glanced at, don't look good, 2) they don't send out a steady stream of resumes, 2) they don't follow up, 3) they look sloppy in an interview, or 4) they don't act confidently. Avoid these 4 pitfalls and you will get a 1L job.


This is incredibly detailed! Thanks haha, except for all the seemingly well thought out advice about suits as I'm female, but I hear you anyhu! haha.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby emkay625 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Got offer from the firm I wanted. Over the moon. Now to find something for the first half of summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L here.

Just want to recommend that all you 1Ls contact general counsels and in-house attorneys at Fortune-500 companies. Also, remember that each subsidiary probably has its own general counsel & attorneys. There is a book called "the directory of corporate counsel" that can help, plus your career services should have a database.

Working in house you'll get to meet many different attorneys at many different firms, which is great come 2L OCI. I choose an in-house over a firm offer 1L summer and have never regretted it.


I agree with this. You can also split your summer working at a firm and working in-house.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 pm

emkay625 wrote:Got offer from the firm I wanted. Over the moon. Now to find something for the first half of summer.


OCI or other means? I posted above (top 5 in class at T1) about trying to figure out how many in state firms to contact. Everywhere I've talked heard from so far says they aren't hiring 1Ls, but I have a bunch of interviews coming up.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby hephaestus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Any Midwest news?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:50 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Any Midwest news?


Not sure which market you are interested in specifically, but some of the Minneapolis firms have offers out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:53 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Any Midwest news?


Reinhart Milwaukee snail-mailed me saying there aren't any 1L spots, but they sounded interested for 2L summer. Just submitted grades to all other Milwaukee firms this week and haven't heard much, other than "We'll talk soon." Haven't heard anything from PH Chi or DLA Chi yet. Top 20% ish at MVP, no real WE -- so nothing special which might be why I'm not getting a ton of responses?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:00 pm

I have a callback interview with a SF big law. But my school is on the east coast. The firm said they don fly out 1L for callback but if I'm going to be in town they can meet me in the office? Should I do video conference or fly ther out of my pocket? I think I perform much better in face to face interview.

I don't know if it would make me look too desperate (well, I'm pretty desperate..)

Any advice would help! Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a callback interview with a SF big law. But my school is on the east coast. The firm said they don fly out 1L for callback but if I'm going to be in town they can meet me in the office? Should I do video conference or fly ther out of my pocket? I think I perform much better in face to face interview.

I don't know if it would make me look too desperate (well, I'm pretty desperate..)

Any advice would help! Thanks!


This was my situation but with TX. I do much better in person as well, so I paid for the plane and hotel and just took the hit. Paid off since I got the spot. If nothing else I think you should do it for the experience.

Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a callback interview with a SF big law. But my school is on the east coast. The firm said they don fly out 1L for callback but if I'm going to be in town they can meet me in the office? Should I do video conference or fly ther out of my pocket? I think I perform much better in face to face interview.

I don't know if it would make me look too desperate (well, I'm pretty desperate..)

Any advice would help! Thanks!


This was my situation but with TX. I do much better in person as well, so I paid for the plane and hotel and just took the hit. Paid off since I got the spot. If nothing else I think you should do it for the experience.

Good luck!


Thank you! Will definitely fly out!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Any Dechert CBs? Also, some Jones Day post CB rejections are out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Which city for Jones Day? Had a CB a couple weeks ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which city for Jones Day? Had a CB a couple weeks ago.

Pittsburgh.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby emkay625 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:17 am

Texas folks - anyone heard back from F&J?

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby emkay625 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 am

Also, I thought OCI bidding ended today. Spent weekend writing all of my cover letters, was going to bid and upload them all today. Log-in this morning, turns out it ended last night. Any suggestions as to what to do?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273581
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:26 am

emkay625 wrote:Texas folks - anyone heard back from F&J?


At least one F&J offer went out last week.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby emkay625 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Got offer from the firm I wanted. Over the moon. Now to find something for the first half of summer.


OCI or other means? I posted above (top 5 in class at T1) about trying to figure out how many in state firms to contact. Everywhere I've talked heard from so far says they aren't hiring 1Ls, but I have a bunch of interviews coming up.


Other means.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.