Heard Back for 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Baker Botts and Bracewell interviews in Texas

Damn I havent heard from either of them!

What offices and What school range are you?

MVP - Houston

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Baker Botts and Bracewell interviews in Texas

Damn I havent heard from either of them!

What offices and What school range are you?

MVP - Houston

Same here, yet no word. I was hoping you were at HYS lol

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Interview this week in a secondary. Do you guys think I should email the other firms in the city and let them know about it in hopes of getting additional ones? On one hand, I am within 3 hours of the city for break which they know from my cover letter, so the whole "Oh I am making a trip and it will save you money to interview me now" isn't the same as people who are flying in. However, I haven't heard anything from these other firms, and realistically once I go back to school for break, it feels like my chances go down exponentially.

This email would obviously be tactful i.e. not "I have an interview, if you want the opportunity to interview me it is in your best interest to do so on one of these two dates"

Thoughts either direction?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:09 am

I think it can only hurt you. You're so close anyways. But if its a place you really want maybe? I just don't see it changing anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:10 am

Interview this week. Anyone with any tips seeing as I have no grades?

renardthecrocs

Postby renardthecrocs » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:11 am

Yea that's tough. Have you followed up outside of a follow-up mentioning other interviews? A low-expectations phone call or even emailing to say "I will be in X city on December XX and would love the chance to meet with some of your attorneys on that date" (obviously phrased better) -- i.e. reaching out and even mentioning you'll be around but not saying why -- could be a more tactful way of accomplishing the same goal.

Good luck, man! I'm definitely rooting for you.

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:14 am

renardthecrocs wrote:Yea that's tough. Have you followed up outside of a follow-up mentioning other interviews? A low-expectations phone call or even emailing to say "I will be in X city on December XX and would love the chance to meet with some of your attorneys on that date" (obviously phrased better) -- i.e. reaching out and even mentioning you'll be around but not saying why -- could be a more tactful way of accomplishing the same goal.

Good luck, man! I'm definitely rooting for you.

No I haven't checked back but it has only been 2 weeks since submitting. I definitely think your approach is more (and probably appropriately) conservative, I'm just afraid that all I'm doing is restating a line in my cover letter instead of adding new information. Maybe giving them more distinct dates instead of Dec 15-Jan 5 or whatever I said might justify another communication. I just want to hear SOMETHING from these people while I'm home, it seems like such a waste to sit on my app if they are going to get back with me the first week of January right after I fly back to school.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:20 pm

Just got a rejection from Bracewell Houston. Was pretty excited for that one, pretty bummed it didnt work out. Dont know why others from same school range would get the interview and I wouldnt. Wonder what they are looking for.

This is only made worse by a pretty rough final I just got out of lol

chem

Postby chem » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:28 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Just got a rejection from Bracewell Houston. Was pretty excited for that one, pretty bummed it didnt work out. Dont know why others from same school range would get the interview and I wouldnt. Wonder what they are looking for.

Same rejection, similar final

No worries

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:42 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Just got a rejection from Bracewell Houston. Was pretty excited for that one, pretty bummed it didnt work out. Dont know why others from same school range would get the interview and I wouldnt. Wonder what they are looking for.

You got a BB interview though right? Still plenty of hope.

Got a Chicago and Midwest rejection today. The midwest one came the instant I was sending them a reminder that I'd be in town soon :lol:

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:46 pm

2014 wrote:

You got a BB interview though right? Still plenty of hope.

Got a Chicago and Midwest rejection today. The midwest one came the instant I was sending them a reminder that I'd be in town soon :lol:

Nope havent heard from BB either.

Interview at Fulbright which is hopeful

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Just got another Midwest cb over break :D

That makes 3 rejections, 1 cb and a reception invite today. All and all can't complain

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:02 pm

2014 wrote:Just got another Midwest cb over break :D

That makes 3 rejections, 1 cb and a reception invite today. All and all can't complain

Dude you are on it man! Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Is it safe to say everyone posting in this thread is T14, or at least Top 25?

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it safe to say everyone posting in this thread is T14, or at least Top 25?

This site as a whole is skewed overwhelmingly toward T1 schools

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Got this email from a firm I'm interested in on 12/13 after I send my application 12/1.

"Thank you for your interest in XXX. We would like to meet with you while you are in (city X) in January. Please give me a couple dates in January that would work for you to come in and meet with, XXX, our office hiring partner."

I responded within the hour with dates that would work for me, but have yet to hear a response 4 days later. Should I wait until the end of the week to follow up or shoot another email out tomorrow? Advice?

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got this email from a firm I'm interested in on 12/13 after I send my application 12/1.

"Thank you for your interest in XXX. We would like to meet with you while you are in (city X) in January. Please give me a couple dates in January that would work for you to come in and meet with, XXX, our office hiring partner."

I responded within the hour with dates that would work for me, but have yet to hear a response 4 days later. Should I wait until the end of the week to follow up or shoot another email out tomorrow? Advice?

Assuming you have the full week of the 31st-4th available I'd call on Friday if you haven't heard back. If your time is more crunched than that, I think you would be justified calling Thursday or even Wednesday. Give them at least through tomorrow regardless in case they were bogged down with weekend emails today and intend to finish getting caught up tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Had a call back today. Was intensive as hell. Hopefully went well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a call back today. Was intensive as hell. Hopefully went well.

I have my first one tomorrow (and have never had an interview like this before). What market? What were your overall impressions of the process?

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had a call back today. Was intensive as hell. Hopefully went well.

I have my first one tomorrow (and have never had an interview like this before). What market? What were your overall impressions of the process?

Same! Nervous but excited

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I had my first one yesterday in Texas and it was a lot more relaxed than I thought it would be. Basically just be prepared to have a conversation with your interviewers. They asked a couple of questions each, like why that particular city, why the practice I'm interested in and things like that, but nothing like "what's your biggest weakness?" I asked as many, if not more, questions than my interviewers did, so definitely be prepared for that. I had a great time and I'm sure you'll do the same if you just go in viewing it as a chance to learn a little bit more about the firm while still selling yourself in the process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Mine was in CA. 6 interviews and then lunch with the partner. Each asked different things. Som focused on my résumé and some just wanted a conversation. Some asked why this field of law or why my background or what skills would help me succeed and benefit them. I stressed my research course as that's all do

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:06 pm

This makes me feel better. Sounds like if you have a decent resume and can carry a conversation, you're good (with the process, not that you'll necessarily get a job). My interview is in Kansas City, so hopefully it will be relatively laid back.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Just had an informal lunch with the partner at litigation firm in Pittsburgh. Very fortunate because of some dumb luck, and nothing that I did, he said that my interview is basically only a formality, and that as long as I don't screw up its pretty much mine. Feeling very fortunate. Not making market, but who cares lol.

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This makes me feel better. Sounds like if you have a decent resume and can carry a conversation, you're good (with the process, not that you'll necessarily get a job). My interview is in Kansas City, so hopefully it will be relatively laid back.

What school range are you coming from?

Return to “Legal Employment”