Heard Back for 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:44 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had phone screener today. Send thank you email or just wait? He said expect to hear back in 2-3 weeks or less.

With who?

NY IP boutique

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:55 am

I have two 1L SA interviews in a secondary market in the Midwest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:10 pm

4 interviews scheduled with Minneapolis firms

Postby 005618502 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:26 pm

invitations to Holiday receptions that are during your finals period. Do you respond stating why you cannot make it? or just not respond.... I was thinking something simple like:

I am sorry to inform that I will be unable to attend the holiday reception, I have my last final on the date of the reception. I will be in (city or state) in early January visiting family...

Agent

Postby Agent » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:44 pm

Surely others will weigh in, but IMO:

It depends. If they asked me to direct the RSVP to an email address checked by the entire recruiting staff or a lower-level member of the staff, I would send two separate emails. My email declining the invitation would look something like this:

Dear Recruiter:

Thank you for the invitation to ______'s holiday reception. I regret that I will be unable to attend because of a scheduling conflict with one of my exams.

Best,
Me

My email requesting a non-holiday-reception visit would have a different subject line, and I would address it to a higher-level recruiter.

If, on the other hand, the invitation asked me to direct the RSVP to a higher-level recruiting person, I might prefer to combine the messages into one email.

Either way, this really seems like no big deal. Just avoid typos.

AssumptionRequired wrote:invitations to Holiday receptions that are during your finals period. Do you respond stating why you cannot make it? or just not respond.... I was thinking something simple like:

I am sorry to inform that I will be unable to attend the holiday reception, I have my last final on the date of the reception. I will be in (city or state) in early January visiting family...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also rejected by Clifford Chance NY. YHS student with dual (European and US) citizenship. I'd be interested to know if anyone here who hasn't yet been rejected gets an interview. The email didn't explicitly state they don't hire 1Ls (as most of the rejection emails seem to).

lower t14, dual, also no word from them or any others. out of curiosity how are you locating london firms that hire 1Ls? nalp only gave a handful.

trick is to not just filter by firms that hire 1L's, at least thats what I heard. obviously dont apply to firms that explicitly say no, but if it says TBD or "maybe" or something like that, it wont show up in the filter but its fair game

I'm the YHS dual citizen anon. I agree not to filter, but I also think your chance of getting a 1L position in London is slim to non-existent (and much closer to the latter). My school keeps a record of where 1Ls get jobs, and no 1L has got a summer associate position in London since the recession started. Anecdotally, I know of a couple of people who tried. In contrast, various 1Ls have found SA positions in major Asian and other-European centers (Paris, Hong Kong, Beijing, et cetera), although I assume all of those people speak the relevant foreign language.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:04 pm

MVP With ties to the Twin Cities:
Skype interview with Lindquist and Vennum (still to occur)
Screener interview with Oppenheimer and Wolff (waiting on potential call back)
Call from Frederickson and Byron to submit a writing sample (waiting to hear back)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:12 pm

How long have you been waiting to hear from Fredrikson? I had the same request and haven't heard anything for over a week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:17 pm

I want to say that it has been about a week (want to say the call was December 7ish). I pretty much applied to the firms in the Twin Cities that had 1L positions listed that were not diversity only. Who have you heard from, applied to, etc.?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:24 pm

I did the exact same thing, but I'm at a T20. I've only heard back from Fredrikson so far. Hopefully we hear some good news soon!

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Quick question as a 0L. When you are mass mailing to firms how can you let them know of your ties to the area if you were not raised there. For example I have family in the Atlanta area, my girlfriend is from there and my parents are ultimately moving there but how could I convey that to a firm before an interview. I ask just because it seems like most interviews people get, especially for 1L SAs are from their cities to which they have ties.
Thanks in advance,

initech

Postby initech » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Last edited by initech on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:39 pm

thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:When scheduling interviews, is it best to wait until early january? or before christmas? Does it matter at all? Any idea if 1L SA interviews ("come visit our firm for a day, meet a few attorneys!") make offers quickly? Is there anything about a 1L SA interview that is substantially different from the usual 2L interview advice?

You don't want to interview too early. 1L slots are limited everywhere, even in firms that have a 1L program. If you get in too early, the firm won't be ready to make hiring decisions and, even if you're a strong candidate, you have a big risk of getting lost in the shuffle as more and more candidates are interviewed. The strength of your interview means less and less the more that time passes. The sweet spot is right when OCI interviews start. If you're a strong interviewer, the comparison will be to a lot of other students they're seeing that won't make it past OCI and you'll appear even stronger.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:CB scheduled over break and got my schedule this week.

Hour and a half lunch that appears to be 1 on 1 with a partner followed by 3 interviews 2 of which are partner, 1 is Senior Counsel. None of them went to my law school.

Basically scared shitless.

My experience was that the partner that you're going to lunch with will bring other people. Just go in with the idea that you're going to make some friends. You'll be fine. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When scheduling interviews, is it best to wait until early january? or before christmas? Does it matter at all? Any idea if 1L SA interviews ("come visit our firm for a day, meet a few attorneys!") make offers quickly? Is there anything about a 1L SA interview that is substantially different from the usual 2L interview advice?

You don't want to interview too early. 1L slots are limited everywhere, even in firms that have a 1L program. If you get in too early, the firm won't be ready to make hiring decisions and, even if you're a strong candidate, you have a big risk of getting lost in the shuffle as more and more candidates are interviewed. The strength of your interview means less and less the more that time passes. The sweet spot is right when OCI interviews start. If you're a strong interviewer, the comparison will be to a lot of other students they're seeing that won't make it past OCI and you'll appear even stronger.

I have heard the opposite. To go as early as possible because some will make an offer before grades if they really like you...
This was coming from someone who received multiple 1L SA offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have heard the opposite. To go as early as possible because some will make an offer before grades if they really like you...
This was coming from someone who received multiple 1L SA offers

:wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Grades request from Sullivan and Cromwell

Ding from: KilPatrick. Clifford Chance,

No 1LS: Holland Knight, Wilkie Farr, Lowstein

Diversity Request: Wiggins & Dana

renardthecrocs

Postby renardthecrocs » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:46 pm

Scheduled my interview today after nerve-racking phone tag. Any idea what interview:offer rate might be like for a smaller branch office? For a medium-sized branch office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Rejection from Fish and Richardson Fellowship. That burned.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:08 pm

renardthecrocs wrote:Scheduled my interview today after nerve-racking phone tag. Any idea what interview:offer rate might be like for a smaller branch office? For a medium-sized branch office?

"smaller branch office for a medium-sized breanch office?" lol, dude, this is not even close to specific enough. Plus, what does that even mean, its a branch office to a branch office? Offer rates vary greatly from firm to firm, city to city, etc. If you want some help (if people have any) then post anon and give more specifics.

renardthecrocs

Postby renardthecrocs » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:58 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
renardthecrocs wrote:Scheduled my interview today after nerve-racking phone tag. Any idea what interview:offer rate might be like for a smaller branch office? For a medium-sized branch office?

"smaller branch office for a medium-sized breanch office?" lol, dude, this is not even close to specific enough. Plus, what does that even mean, its a branch office to a branch office? Offer rates vary greatly from firm to firm, city to city, etc. If you want some help (if people have any) then post anon and give more specifics.

Fair point. Honestly just have no idea how any of this works. Surprised anyone called me back let alone 3 interviews, and I want to know what the best use of my winter break is: gunning these interviews hard or preparing my apps for more conventional 1L internships.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:17 pm

Baker Botts and Bracewell interviews in Texas

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Baker Botts and Bracewell interviews in Texas

Damn I havent heard from either of them!

What offices and What school range are you?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:26 pm

K&L Gates interview in Pittsburgh. I saw in the other thread that they're still hiring 2Ls; wonder if this is good or bad for my chances.

Return to “Legal Employment”