Heard Back for 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:12 am

Wait. So firms reject people before grades even come out? Crazy

Postby 005618502 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wait. So firms reject people before grades even come out? Crazy

:lol:

Most of them that do that are not taking 1Ls. Some will reject for lack of diversity or ties to their city as well

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:55 am

When scheduling interviews, is it best to wait until early january? or before christmas? Does it matter at all? Any idea if 1L SA interviews ("come visit our firm for a day, meet a few attorneys!") make offers quickly? Is there anything about a 1L SA interview that is substantially different from the usual 2L interview advice?

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:When scheduling interviews, is it best to wait until early january? or before christmas? Does it matter at all? Any idea if 1L SA interviews ("come visit our firm for a day, meet a few attorneys!") make offers quickly? Is there anything about a 1L SA interview that is substantially different from the usual 2L interview advice?

Whether to interview quickly or not probably depends on firm. I'd do it sooner rather than later. But you may want to ask the recruiters if they do a rolling acceptance system or wait until all interviews are done before making decisions.

As for the interview: the only difference will be that you have less to speak about. For the most part it will be the same..."why law?" "Why our firm?" "I see that you've done [insert random legal-related thing on your resume]; how was that?/I had a similar experience/what made you interested in that?" "What kind of work are you interested in?" "Oh, you're from Philly? That's too bad, I'm a Mets fan. (quick, make a joke about how both teams suck)"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:14 pm

Ding from cc in ny.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:41 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When scheduling interviews, is it best to wait until early january? or before christmas? Does it matter at all? Any idea if 1L SA interviews ("come visit our firm for a day, meet a few attorneys!") make offers quickly? Is there anything about a 1L SA interview that is substantially different from the usual 2L interview advice?

Whether to interview quickly or not probably depends on firm. I'd do it sooner rather than later. But you may want to ask the recruiters if they do a rolling acceptance system or wait until all interviews are done before making decisions.

As for the interview: the only difference will be that you have less to speak about. For the most part it will be the same..."why law?" "Why our firm?" "I see that you've done [insert random legal-related thing on your resume]; how was that?/I had a similar experience/what made you interested in that?" "What kind of work are you interested in?" "Oh, you're from Philly? That's too bad, I'm a Mets fan. (quick, make a joke about how both teams suck)"

Yeah I was wondering about this too. I applied to all the Biglaw firms in my city and got one interview and two "come to reception" e-mails so far. As an ignorant lowly 1L I have no idea what to expect. They all wanted to see grades when available so I'm guessing interviews/receptions are more of a get-to-know-each-other thing in preparation for 2L OCI? Or is it possible to do so well in interviews that they offer you an SA on the spot before seeing grades?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Rejected by Clifford Chance (NY)

Also rejected by Clifford Chance NY. YHS student with dual (European and US) citizenship. I'd be interested to know if anyone here who hasn't yet been rejected gets an interview. The email didn't explicitly state they don't hire 1Ls (as most of the rejection emails seem to).

I think CC's rejections go out in waves.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:29 pm

For an interview, w multiple people What exactly am I supposed to talk about/say? I'm looking for the call back thread on here but I can't seem to find it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Had phone screener today. Send thank you email or just wait? He said expect to hear back in 2-3 weeks or less.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had phone screener today. Send thank you email or just wait? He said expect to hear back in 2-3 weeks or less.

With who?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Got this email today:

"Thank you for your interest in XXX. At this time, we have completed hiring for our 2013 summer class in XXX. If you will be in the XXX area during the holidays, however, we would very much like the opportunity to meet with you. If you have plans to travel to the area, please let me know. I would be more than happy to arrange a meeting with some of our attorneys in the XXX office. If you are not able to visit our office, we hope to see you next year at XXX’s OCI."

1L here trying to figure out if something positive can possibly come out of this? LA market by the way. Any feedback?

Postby 005618502 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got this email today:

"Thank you for your interest in XXX. At this time, we have completed hiring for our 2013 summer class in XXX. If you will be in the XXX area during the holidays, however, we would very much like the opportunity to meet with you. If you have plans to travel to the area, please let me know. I would be more than happy to arrange a meeting with some of our attorneys in the XXX office. If you are not able to visit our office, we hope to see you next year at XXX’s OCI."

1L here trying to figure out if something positive can possibly come out of this? LA market by the way. Any feedback?

Cant hurt. Go in, make a good impression and then you will have a better shot during OCI

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 pm

Seems encouraging and genuine. Congrats. I would follow up ASAP.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:51 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:

Cant hurt. Go in, make a good impression and then you will have a better shot during OCIchance of getting to skip OCI

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:31 am

I missed a screener several days ago (was in a final) and received a voicemail to call the person back. I did so and left a voicemail the next day, but haven't heard back since. It's been a few days ... should I be concerned? Try to contact again?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:53 am

CB scheduled over break and got my schedule this week.

Hour and a half lunch that appears to be 1 on 1 with a partner followed by 3 interviews 2 of which are partner, 1 is Senior Counsel. None of them went to my law school.

Basically scared shitless.

Agent

Postby Agent » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:19 am

I would get to work ditching that mentality ASAP. Those people have seen your resume, and they want to talk with you. Feel good about it.

Anonymous User wrote:CB scheduled over break and got my schedule this week.

Hour and a half lunch that appears to be 1 on 1 with a partner followed by 3 interviews 2 of which are partner, 1 is Senior Counsel. None of them went to my law school.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:23 am

Agent wrote:I would get to work ditching that mentality ASAP. Those people have seen your resume, and they want to talk with you. Feel good about it.

Exactly. Despite the horrible scenarios that you're probably coming up with in your mind, the firm isn't calling you in for 90 minutes total with four of their lawyers because they want someone to terrorize for shits and grins.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:CB scheduled over break and got my schedule this week.

They like you. They're like you, but they're older & have paid their dues. Just go in with genuine curiosity about what they do and be honest about who you are. It's really not that hard.

renardthecrocs

Postby renardthecrocs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:35 am

When it rains it pours. Got my first call yesterday, and then my second immediately following - both of which I missed due to studying for civ pro - one to schedule an interview and another a screener (I believe). That was a needed boost - I was pretty sure all the MMing I did would yield nothing.

Postby 2014 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:56 am

renardthecrocs wrote:When it rains it pours. Got my first call yesterday, and then my second immediately following - both of which I missed due to studying for civ pro - one to schedule an interview and another a screener (I believe). That was a needed boost - I was pretty sure all the MMing I did would yield nothing.

Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Also rejected by Clifford Chance NY. YHS student with dual (European and US) citizenship. I'd be interested to know if anyone here who hasn't yet been rejected gets an interview. The email didn't explicitly state they don't hire 1Ls (as most of the rejection emails seem to).

lower t14, dual, also no word from them or any others. out of curiosity how are you locating london firms that hire 1Ls? nalp only gave a handful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

lower t14, dual, also no word from them or any others. out of curiosity how are you locating london firms that hire 1Ls? nalp only gave a handful.

trick is to not just filter by firms that hire 1L's, at least thats what I heard. obviously dont apply to firms that explicitly say no, but if it says TBD or "maybe" or something like that, it wont show up in the filter but its fair game

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:28 am

GW 1L not from CA, invited to Orrick (SF) open house. Was this just generically sent out to everyone who applied?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:31 am

Can people who are getting interviews say with whom? It would help the rest of us understand what's going on (and use the anon feature if you don't want to out yourself).

Return to “Legal Employment”