Heard Back for 1L SA Position Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Post by 005618502 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Now that we are able to talk to law firms about 1L SA positions, I figured I would start something where we could update who we hear back from, when and what they inquired about (need writing sample, wait till grades, set up interview, etc.)

I applied to many TX firms that accept 1L SA's as well as some in other locations (at a T14). Hoping to hear something back by the time finals are over!

ph14

Gold

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Post by ph14 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:49 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Now that we are able to talk to law firms about 1L SA positions, I figured I would start something where we could update who we hear back from, when and what they inquired about (need writing sample, wait till grades, set up interview, etc.)

I applied to many TX firms that accept 1L SA's as well as some in other locations (at a T14). Hoping to hear something back by the time finals are over!
The only thing you're likely to hear back from anytime soon is: "Thanks for applying. Send us your grades when you have them."

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:59 pm

ph14 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Now that we are able to talk to law firms about 1L SA positions, I figured I would start something where we could update who we hear back from, when and what they inquired about (need writing sample, wait till grades, set up interview, etc.)

The only thing you're likely to hear back from anytime soon is: "Thanks for applying. Send us your grades when you have them."
I had classmates at UT who were getting phonecalls to set-up interviews with TX firms before finals were over. I also know that plenty of TX firms interview TX people going to non-TX law schools over the break. Grades might matter somewhat, but I know at least a few T14 people that did well in their interview over Christmas break (before grades came out) and were basically told they would get the position as long as their grades weren't awful.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I had classmates at UT who were getting phonecalls to set-up interviews with TX firms before finals were over. I also know that plenty of TX firms interview TX people going to non-TX law schools over the break. Grades might matter somewhat, but I know at least a few T14 people that did well in their interview over Christmas break (before grades came out) and were basically told they would get the position as long as their grades weren't awful.
Maybe Texas does things differently, but for other markets they definitely want to see grades.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
ph14 wrote:

I have multiple friends at my T14 who had solid offers long before grades came out. I am not saying they are the norm, but it does happen.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:06 pm

Graduating this year. Had offer from firm for 1L position before grades released. Also had several interviews (and second round interviews) before grades released. T20 here. My undergrad GPA was very good though, so that might help.

Good luck!!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:31 pm

All I've heard is that some of these people are on maternity leave and I had to redraft my letter to a new person

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:45 pm

goldeneye wrote:All I've heard is that some of these people are on maternity leave and I had to redraft my letter to a new person
Ugh, I got a couple of those myself. Also got the "go apply online here" then I go and its for minorities only :(

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Got my first rejection!

Personal email from a partner telling me that he would love to have me apply for real OCI next year haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:20 pm

2014 wrote:Got my first rejection!

Personal email from a partner telling me that he would love to have me apply for real OCI next year haha
I guess that's one benefit of emailing the partner vs. the recruiting coordinator. They probably check email much more often.

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:35 pm

goldeneye wrote:

I guess that's one benefit of emailing the partner vs. the recruiting coordinator. They probably check email much more often.
It's a lesson you'll learn throughout job searches: the more you skip HR/Recruiters the better you'll be

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:46 pm

jbiresq wrote:
goldeneye wrote:

It's a lesson you'll learn throughout job searches: the more you skip HR/Recruiters the better you'll be
Does this apply to stuff like this as well, when the firm gives an actual recruiting director. Is TCR still to email the hiring partner?

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:09 pm

goldeneye wrote:
jbiresq wrote:
goldeneye wrote:

Does this apply to stuff like this as well, when the firm gives an actual recruiting director. Is TCR still to email the hiring partner?
Do both. That's never hurt me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:17 am

Now you are freaking me out because most of mine went to HR like they suggested.

Good luck today and the next month or two though guys. For everyone who submitted I imagine now begins the long wait where we slowly suffocate under the incoming rejection letters :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 am

From Proskauer - Newark:

Thank you for your interest in the Newark office of Proskauer. All of our 2013 Summer Associate positions have been filled. Unfortunately, we have no other openings. We wish you the best in your job search.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:From Proskauer - Newark:

Thank you for your interest in the Newark office of Proskauer. All of our 2013 Summer Associate positions have been filled. Unfortunately, we have no other openings. We wish you the best in your job search.
I'm guessing they either don't do 1L or thought you were a 2L.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am

If you search NALP for 1L employers, Proskauer comes up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 am

Got a rejections from a firm that does only IP, didn't mean to apply to a firm that like. At least I know they are getting my stuff!

I also sent to the HR contact, which is what I believe you are supposed to do

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 am

Can't always trust NALP on that. And I expect that some employers only grab 1Ls if 2L spots open up late in the game.
InGoodFaith wrote:If you search NALP for 1L employers, Proskauer comes up.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:19 am

I started my search with "Hires 1Ls" but always went to the hiring grid to see whether they actually did in the last couple of years before sending them anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am

InGoodFaith wrote:If you search NALP for 1L employers, Proskauer comes up.
Proskauer Chicago is only hiring 1Ls from now on

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 am

Reed Smith - Philly's class is full.

renardthecrocs

New

Post by renardthecrocs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Reed Smith - Philly's class is full.
Class of 1 most likely

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:05 am

Heard goldberg kohn in Chicago is not hiring 1Ls btw, they haven't rejected me yet though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 am

Grades request from Sullivan & Cromwell (NY)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”