Heard Back for 1L SA Position Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Is it alright to apply to firms through the online apps/emails late at night or does that look wired

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it alright to apply to firms through the online apps/emails late at night or does that look wired
They don't care.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it alright to apply to firms through the online apps/emails late at night or does that look wired
LOL standard TLS neuroticism.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:07 am

Anyone heard from v&e Houston yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:confirmed and scheduled CB's for Fulbright J, Baker B, and Vinson E for texas
Might saying what school range you are in?
T5

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:confirmed and scheduled CB's for Fulbright J, Baker B, and Vinson E for texas
T5
Happy to see Chicago is killing it! :lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:25 am

Mad Hatter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
T5
Happy to see Chicago is killing it! :lol:
not actually UChi :p.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:59 am

not actually UChi :p.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Was Vinson the Houston office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 am

Get an "introductory meeting' for a firm in a secondary market. The meeting is with the recruiting contact and with the hiring partner with the office. Not sure what to make out of this? It is a small market where I have significant amount of ties, but I am not sure if this is just a meeting since I am here over break, or if it is potentially something more.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Get an "introductory meeting' for a firm in a secondary market. The meeting is with the recruiting contact and with the hiring partner with the office. Not sure what to make out of this? It is a small market where I have significant amount of ties, but I am not sure if this is just a meeting since I am here over break, or if it is potentially something more.
A meeting is always potentially something more. Treat it like an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:01 am

People will hesitate to answer such questions like "is your interview with the Houston office of xx firm" etc, especially after questions about school range. 1L things are so rare, it comes close to outing the person.

penguin1

New

Post by penguin1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:45 pm

I have an invite to a holiday reception in a secondary market - what happens at one of these? Do they ask you interview style questions when you talk to the people or are they really more just social?

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Get an "introductory meeting' for a firm in a secondary market. The meeting is with the recruiting contact and with the hiring partner with the office. Not sure what to make out of this? It is a small market where I have significant amount of ties, but I am not sure if this is just a meeting since I am here over break, or if it is potentially something more.
A firm in my secondary market invited me to a "meeting" with their hiring partner and another lawyer. The phrasing in the email suggested it was casual, and they just wanted to chat. When I got there, is was a full-on interview, with usual interview questions and usual interview style.

My guess is that they don't want to call these things "job interviews" because they're not sure what they'll have to offer yet (a summer '13 position, a summer '14 position, neither).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:57 pm

penguin1 wrote:I have an invite to a holiday reception in a secondary market - what happens at one of these? Do they ask you interview style questions when you talk to the people or are they really more just social?
Pretty sure it is just social, and in most cases it is an open invitation to all 1Ls who want to come.

However, if they are hiring 1Ls but haven't made interview decisions yet, I imagine it might be helpful to name drop attorneys you met or to stay in touch with them. Also come 2L OCI if you bid on those firms, you should have a leg up interviewing since you can discuss a real genuine familiarity with the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from v&e Houston yet?
They had their reception on December 20th. They probably interviewed a bunch of HYS folks already too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:42 am

Cross post from the general 1L job hunt thread, feel free to ignore one or the other (or both)

Need advice.

Had a firm email me wanting to do a CB interview and the only time they can fit me in before I go back to school is on one day next week. On that day, I already have an informational lunch setup with 2 partners on the hiring committee of a different firm (that is not hiring 1Ls, this is more for next year).

Do I email the CB firm and say I'm free on that day, allowing them to schedule a lunch and politely back out of the informational lunch, or do I tell the CB firm that I am free, but have a lunch commitment and ask them to schedule either before or after?

I feel like it would be wrong to back out of the informational lunch, it is just frustrating since it might end up hurting me marginally in my pursuit of paid work THIS summer.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Cross post from the general 1L job hunt thread, feel free to ignore one or the other (or both)

Need advice.

Had a firm email me wanting to do a CB interview and the only time they can fit me in before I go back to school is on one day next week. On that day, I already have an informational lunch setup with 2 partners on the hiring committee of a different firm (that is not hiring 1Ls, this is more for next year).

Do I email the CB firm and say I'm free on that day, allowing them to schedule a lunch and politely back out of the informational lunch, or do I tell the CB firm that I am free, but have a lunch commitment and ask them to schedule either before or after?

I feel like it would be wrong to back out of the informational lunch, it is just frustrating since it might end up hurting me marginally in my pursuit of paid work THIS summer.
I think the latter would be better just speaking from common sense, but it seams like the small firm would be able to accommodate. If they can't then you could think about backing out of the informational interview. More than likely at least at places i've been hired (non law) they will make an effort to work around your schedule as long as you make a prior obligation known.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:55 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cross post from the general 1L job hunt thread, feel free to ignore one or the other (or both)

Need advice.

I think the latter would be better just speaking from common sense, but it seams like the small firm would be able to accommodate. If they can't then you could think about backing out of the informational interview. More than likely at least at places i've been hired (non law) they will make an effort to work around your schedule as long as you make a prior obligation known.
Should have been more clear that both are market paying secondary biglaw firms, the informational one just only hires 2L SAs. Don't know if that changes your thoughts.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 am

This might be a silly question, but I looked through the thread and couldn't find an answer: how do we know if an interview offer is a screener or CB? The office is getting back to me with date and time, so I don't really know how long the interview is expected to be.

Mad Hatter

Silver

Post by Mad Hatter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:54 am

basilseal wrote:This might be a silly question, but I looked through the thread and couldn't find an answer: how do we know if an interview offer is a screener or CB? The office is getting back to me with date and time, so I don't really know how long the interview is expected to be.
Unless otherwise stated, I would assume CB. I don't think 1L SA's generally have OCI-type "screeners."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 am

penguin1 wrote:I have an invite to a holiday reception in a secondary market - what happens at one of these? Do they ask you interview style questions when you talk to the people or are they really more just social?
If it's V&E Houston, I'm pretty sure almost everyone (at least at hys) that applied got one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
basilseal wrote:This might be a silly question, but I looked through the thread and couldn't find an answer: how do we know if an interview offer is a screener or CB? The office is getting back to me with date and time, so I don't really know how long the interview is expected to be.
Unless otherwise stated, I would assume CB. I don't think 1L SA's generally have OCI-type "screeners."
Thnaks MH! Glad to hear it.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:

Need advice.

Should have been more clear that both are market paying secondary biglaw firms, the informational one just only hires 2L SAs. Don't know if that changes your thoughts.
No matter what, go to the CB firm - there you've got a chance at a job. If they can schedule before or after, great (preferably before because), but keep in mind that things can run long on either end. If need be, call informational firm and ask them to reschedule (feel free to tell them you've got a job interview - they should understand)

disclaimer: 1L

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:56 am

Dinged at SNR Denton

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 pm

dingbat wrote:Dinged at SNR Denton
Which office?