Heard Back for 1L SA Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 005618502 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Now that we are able to talk to law firms about 1L SA positions, I figured I would start something where we could update who we hear back from, when and what they inquired about (need writing sample, wait till grades, set up interview, etc.)

I applied to many TX firms that accept 1L SA's as well as some in other locations (at a T14). Hoping to hear something back by the time finals are over!

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby ph14 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:49 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Now that we are able to talk to law firms about 1L SA positions, I figured I would start something where we could update who we hear back from, when and what they inquired about (need writing sample, wait till grades, set up interview, etc.)

I applied to many TX firms that accept 1L SA's as well as some in other locations (at a T14). Hoping to hear something back by the time finals are over!


The only thing you're likely to hear back from anytime soon is: "Thanks for applying. Send us your grades when you have them."

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:59 pm

ph14 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Now that we are able to talk to law firms about 1L SA positions, I figured I would start something where we could update who we hear back from, when and what they inquired about (need writing sample, wait till grades, set up interview, etc.)

I applied to many TX firms that accept 1L SA's as well as some in other locations (at a T14). Hoping to hear something back by the time finals are over!


The only thing you're likely to hear back from anytime soon is: "Thanks for applying. Send us your grades when you have them."


I had classmates at UT who were getting phonecalls to set-up interviews with TX firms before finals were over. I also know that plenty of TX firms interview TX people going to non-TX law schools over the break. Grades might matter somewhat, but I know at least a few T14 people that did well in their interview over Christmas break (before grades came out) and were basically told they would get the position as long as their grades weren't awful.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby ph14 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
ph14 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Now that we are able to talk to law firms about 1L SA positions, I figured I would start something where we could update who we hear back from, when and what they inquired about (need writing sample, wait till grades, set up interview, etc.)

I applied to many TX firms that accept 1L SA's as well as some in other locations (at a T14). Hoping to hear something back by the time finals are over!


The only thing you're likely to hear back from anytime soon is: "Thanks for applying. Send us your grades when you have them."


I had classmates at UT who were getting phonecalls to set-up interviews with TX firms before finals were over. I also know that plenty of TX firms interview TX people going to non-TX law schools over the break. Grades might matter somewhat, but I know at least a few T14 people that did well in their interview over Christmas break (before grades came out) and were basically told they would get the position as long as their grades weren't awful.


Maybe Texas does things differently, but for other markets they definitely want to see grades.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 005618502 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
ph14 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Now that we are able to talk to law firms about 1L SA positions, I figured I would start something where we could update who we hear back from, when and what they inquired about (need writing sample, wait till grades, set up interview, etc.)

I applied to many TX firms that accept 1L SA's as well as some in other locations (at a T14). Hoping to hear something back by the time finals are over!


The only thing you're likely to hear back from anytime soon is: "Thanks for applying. Send us your grades when you have them."


I had classmates at UT who were getting phonecalls to set-up interviews with TX firms before finals were over. I also know that plenty of TX firms interview TX people going to non-TX law schools over the break. Grades might matter somewhat, but I know at least a few T14 people that did well in their interview over Christmas break (before grades came out) and were basically told they would get the position as long as their grades weren't awful.


I have multiple friends at my T14 who had solid offers long before grades came out. I am not saying they are the norm, but it does happen.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273329
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:06 pm

Graduating this year. Had offer from firm for 1L position before grades released. Also had several interviews (and second round interviews) before grades released. T20 here. My undergrad GPA was very good though, so that might help.

Good luck!!

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby goldeneye » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:31 pm

All I've heard is that some of these people are on maternity leave and I had to redraft my letter to a new person

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 005618502 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:45 pm

goldeneye wrote:All I've heard is that some of these people are on maternity leave and I had to redraft my letter to a new person


Ugh, I got a couple of those myself. Also got the "go apply online here" then I go and its for minorities only :(

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 2014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:46 pm

Got my first rejection!

Personal email from a partner telling me that he would love to have me apply for real OCI next year haha

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby goldeneye » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:20 pm

2014 wrote:Got my first rejection!

Personal email from a partner telling me that he would love to have me apply for real OCI next year haha


I guess that's one benefit of emailing the partner vs. the recruiting coordinator. They probably check email much more often.

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby jbiresq » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:35 pm

goldeneye wrote:
2014 wrote:Got my first rejection!

Personal email from a partner telling me that he would love to have me apply for real OCI next year haha


I guess that's one benefit of emailing the partner vs. the recruiting coordinator. They probably check email much more often.


It's a lesson you'll learn throughout job searches: the more you skip HR/Recruiters the better you'll be

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby goldeneye » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:46 pm

jbiresq wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
2014 wrote:Got my first rejection!

Personal email from a partner telling me that he would love to have me apply for real OCI next year haha


I guess that's one benefit of emailing the partner vs. the recruiting coordinator. They probably check email much more often.


It's a lesson you'll learn throughout job searches: the more you skip HR/Recruiters the better you'll be


Does this apply to stuff like this as well, when the firm gives an actual recruiting director. Is TCR still to email the hiring partner?

User avatar
jbiresq
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby jbiresq » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:09 pm

goldeneye wrote:
jbiresq wrote:
goldeneye wrote:
2014 wrote:Got my first rejection!

Personal email from a partner telling me that he would love to have me apply for real OCI next year haha


I guess that's one benefit of emailing the partner vs. the recruiting coordinator. They probably check email much more often.


It's a lesson you'll learn throughout job searches: the more you skip HR/Recruiters the better you'll be


Does this apply to stuff like this as well, when the firm gives an actual recruiting director. Is TCR still to email the hiring partner?


Do both. That's never hurt me.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:17 am

Now you are freaking me out because most of mine went to HR like they suggested.

Good luck today and the next month or two though guys. For everyone who submitted I imagine now begins the long wait where we slowly suffocate under the incoming rejection letters :lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273329
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 am

From Proskauer - Newark:

Thank you for your interest in the Newark office of Proskauer. All of our 2013 Summer Associate positions have been filled. Unfortunately, we have no other openings. We wish you the best in your job search.

User avatar
goldeneye
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby goldeneye » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:From Proskauer - Newark:

Thank you for your interest in the Newark office of Proskauer. All of our 2013 Summer Associate positions have been filled. Unfortunately, we have no other openings. We wish you the best in your job search.


I'm guessing they either don't do 1L or thought you were a 2L.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 20130312 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am

If you search NALP for 1L employers, Proskauer comes up.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 am

Got a rejections from a firm that does only IP, didn't mean to apply to a firm that like. At least I know they are getting my stuff!

I also sent to the HR contact, which is what I believe you are supposed to do

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Agent » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 am

Can't always trust NALP on that. And I expect that some employers only grab 1Ls if 2L spots open up late in the game.

InGoodFaith wrote:If you search NALP for 1L employers, Proskauer comes up.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 2014 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:19 am

I started my search with "Hires 1Ls" but always went to the hiring grid to see whether they actually did in the last couple of years before sending them anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273329
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am

InGoodFaith wrote:If you search NALP for 1L employers, Proskauer comes up.


Proskauer Chicago is only hiring 1Ls from now on

Anonymous User
Posts: 273329
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 am

Reed Smith - Philly's class is full.

User avatar
renardthecrocs
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:35 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby renardthecrocs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Reed Smith - Philly's class is full.

Class of 1 most likely

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby 2014 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:05 am

Heard Goldberg Kohn in Chicago is not hiring 1Ls btw, they haven't rejected me yet though

Anonymous User
Posts: 273329
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Heard Back for 1L SA Position

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 am

Grades request from Sullivan & Cromwell (NY)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.