new law firm associate at smallish big firm taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
perfecttender

new law firm associate at smallish big firm taking questions

Postby perfecttender » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:14 am

staying up for just a big longer. will try to be as honest as I can.

neimanmarxist

Re: new law firm associate at smallish big firm taking questions

Postby neimanmarxist » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:57 am

why are you up at 5:14 a.m.? please tell me not because of work.

hangtime813

Postby hangtime813 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:25 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:why are you up at 5:14 a.m.? please tell me not because of work.

how often do the partners meet to consider SAs and law clerks? is it a majority vote decision?

I am being considered by a smallish big firm in LA, interviewed about a month ago and the HR said she still needs to talk to the partners...

perfecttender

Postby perfecttender » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:14 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:why are you up at 5:14 a.m.? please tell me not because of work.

no, not quite. but there have been awful days when i've been up at 2:30am. i haven't pulled an all-nighter yet but there are times i thought i should but couldn't physically stay up

perfecttender

Postby perfecttender » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:16 pm

hangtime813 wrote:

how often do the partners meet to consider SAs and law clerks? is it a majority vote decision?

I am being considered by a smallish big firm in LA, interviewed about a month ago and the HR said she still needs to talk to the partners...

at my place, it's on an as-needed basis. if they are hiring students, they usually set a time to discuss all candidates. this takes a while because it's usually not as high of a priority as work.

if they are hiring laterals, they consider them as-needed, usually quicker than students, for the simple reason that lateral hiring fills a more immediate need.

perfecttender

Postby perfecttender » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:19 pm

hangtime813 wrote:

you should gently reach out to them and professionally ask them what's up, if it's been been a while since you talked to HR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:35 pm

any contrast with your experience at this firm during the summer?

I am asking because my summer firm seems quite chilled. I am wondering if things will change when I start full-time there.

perfecttender

Postby perfecttender » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any contrast with your experience at this firm during the summer?

I am asking because my summer firm seems quite chilled. I am wondering if things will change when I start full-time there.

when i was applying for a summer associate position, they took forever to get back to me. i thought it was because they were slow but I believe it was because they had other students were their top choice. it's a fratty firm culture and they right away went with the person who played high school football.

when i was waiting to see if they would extend me an offer after the summer, they also took a very long time. this was for everyone though.

i hope this helps.

perfecttender

Postby perfecttender » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any contrast with your experience at this firm during the summer?

if you feel comfortable, what is your firm?

if not, how big is your firm? what practice areas? what location? almost without a doubt things will change after you start full-time. knowing the answer to some of these questions will tell you just how much change you can expect.

Return to “Legal Employment”