A Good Etiquette Book/Website

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

A Good Etiquette Book/Website

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Landed an internship with a Federal Judge for the spring semester who is specifically known for being critical of the mannerisms of his staff. His staff has similar expectations and attitude. I'm a pretty well-behaved guy, but want to make the best impression possible because this particular judge is also known to recruit clerks out of his intern pool.

So, anyone know of a good book or website on etiquette?

anon168

Re: A Good Etiquette Book/Website

Postby anon168 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Landed an internship with a Federal Judge for the spring semester who is specifically known for being critical of the mannerisms of his staff. His staff has similar expectations and attitude. I'm a pretty well-behaved guy, but want to make the best impression possible because this particular judge is also known to recruit clerks out of his intern pool.

So, anyone know of a good book or website on etiquette?

Etiquette varies from culture to culture - there is no so-called "book" that will cover all of your bases.

Your best bet is to call the current clerks and pick their brains a bit. Then when you start basically take the approach of "monkey see, monkey do".

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:11 am

Actually there is such a book, at least one that will cover the culture of federal judges. It's called Emily Post's Etiquette.
Last edited by thsmthcrmnl on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:47 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:Actually there is such book, at least one that will cover the culture of federal judges. It's called Emily Post's Etiquette.

I would just be cautious in using or relying on Post as the end-all-be-all of etiquette guides. Post is good if your judge is white and European. If your judge is not, then it won't be very applicable, if at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:00 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:Actually there is such book, at least one that will cover the culture of federal judges. It's called Emily Post's Etiquette.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I found this year's christmas reading.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:03 pm

anon168 wrote:

I would just be cautious in using or relying on Post as the end-all-be-all of etiquette guides. Post is good if your judge is white and European. If your judge is not, then it won't be very applicable, if at all.

Luckily, he fits that description.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

I am shocked, a judge is white and European?? Is he also old and straight?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

I am shocked, a judge is white and European?? Is he also old and straight?

Well, he is a federal judge.

Return to “Legal Employment”