Harvesting Network Connections

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jacksonmead

Harvesting Network Connections

Postby jacksonmead » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:19 pm

I'm a 1L and trying to get some applications ready to go out tomorrow. I'm applying to some smallish firms (assume 50-200) and am wondering about protocol on how to use people I know.

If I know someone at the firm a little bit (alumni that I've met, etc.) is it appropriate to send them the materials as well with the hope that they will put a good word in. Any advice on how to phrase this beyond "soooo... I'm applying to your firm"?

ph14

Re: Harvesting Network Connections

Postby ph14 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:25 pm

jacksonmead wrote:I'm a 1L and trying to get some applications ready to go out tomorrow. I'm applying to some smallish firms (assume 50-200) and am wondering about protocol on how to use people I know.

If I know someone at the firm a little bit (alumni that I've met, etc.) is it appropriate to send them the materials as well with the hope that they will put a good word in. Any advice on how to phrase this beyond "soooo... I'm applying to your firm"?

Just be concise and direct, and don't expect too much. Something like:

"Hi [So-and-so],

I really enjoyed meeting you at [XYZ networking event] and discussing [the Commerce Clause]. I just wanted to let you know that I submitted my application for summer employment with your [firm]. [Perhaps, reason you are interested in the firm here if you have a good one (i.e., they are IP and you want to do IP]. Have a happy holidays and thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
[jacksonmead]"

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Use a combine

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:26 pm

Here's how to start: stop thinking about "using" or "harvesting" connections.

Next, and assuming you're not a sociopath, treat them like you would treat other human beings. Talk to them. They will probably ask you about what you're doing. Then you can tell them you're a 1L. Since they are lawyers, they understand that being a 1L entails "I NEED A JERB!!!" If they can help you, and they want to, they will.

Normal people want to help other people. Maybe you've just been swayed by all the finance douchebags' terminology into thinking that you need to scheme to get other people to help you. You don't. You just need to be a nice, normal person.

Agent

Postby Agent » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:20 am

+1. Surprising how many people don't get this.

BeenDidThat wrote:Here's how to start: stop thinking about "using" or "harvesting" connections.

Next, and assuming you're not a sociopath, treat them like you would treat other human beings. Talk to them. They will probably ask you about what you're doing. Then you can tell them you're a 1L. Since they are lawyers, they understand that being a 1L entails "I NEED A JERB!!!" If they can help you, and they want to, they will.

Normal people want to help other people. Maybe you've just been swayed by all the finance douchebags' terminology into thinking that you need to scheme to get other people to help you. You don't. You just need to be a nice, normal person.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:56 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:Here's how to start: stop thinking about "using" or "harvesting" connections.

This. This is how networking works.

Return to “Legal Employment”