worth it to apply to big law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pixystics

worth it to apply to big law?

Postby pixystics » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks.
Last edited by pixystics on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExBiglawAssociate

Re: worth it to apply to big law?

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:46 pm

If you have nothing else to do, why not mass mail?

pixystics

Postby pixystics » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:10 pm

That was my thought, but I also don't want to waste my time.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Unless you straight up failed, I'm thinking T10 + URM will at least get you some biglaw interviews. And frankly, once you fall below your school's "honors" designation, the firms, while perhaps concerned about analytical ability if your grades are truly basement, will be less concerned because your profile will look just like anybody else who is below the honors designation to clients. It will probably come down to how you come off in interviews.

Definitely wouldn't be counting myself out if I were in your shoes.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:01 pm

pixystics wrote:That was my thought, but I also don't want to waste my time.

As compared to what though? Applying for jobs you have more than a 0% chance of getting is less of a waste of time than doing whatever else. Worse comes to worse you get rejections instead of sit pondering what may have been.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm with everyone in terms of you applying. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain--and you definitely don't have anything else better to do.

However, the person that said that being top 10 + URM "as long as you didn't straight up fail" should land you some biglaw interviews is (unfortunately) wrong. Frankly, if by rough you mean below median you still have a shot--but it's a poor one. If you mean bottom 1/3 on down your chances are slim to none. Some of this will have to do with where you have ties to and things like your work experience. Bottom line, hustle and try your best. But don't think anything is wrong with you if you don't land a biglaw job. They have very strict grade cutoffs and that's just the way it is. It doesn't say anything bad about you.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:01 pm

pixystics wrote:That was my thought, but I also don't want to waste my time.

Uh, why not? Not to be hostile, but what do you have to do that's more important?

pixystics

Postby pixystics » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:27 pm

I get what everyone is saying and agree, but I do have a full-time job... and I only bring that up to say that I haven't been sitting around doing nothing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Legal Employment”