2L discouraged

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L discouraged

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:19 pm

So I'm sure everyone else who doesn't have a job as a 2L for next summer has probably talked or read about this and I'm just feeling a little lazy to look for a thread but I'm so discouraged.

I transferred schools hoping to get a big firm job and had 7-8 interviews focusing on corporate and business and finance and sent out applications but I guess I didn't do enough mass mailing and now I don't have a job for next summer. All the people at my new school I know have jobs in NY, Boston, or CT.

What should I be looking to do now? I've already to government jobs as well. I just feel like I missed my small window of opportunity and it sucks. So if there are any 1Ls reading this...apply everywhere and to every firm!

LeDique

Re: 2L discouraged

Postby LeDique » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:37 pm

What do you want to do?

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:16 pm

Hard to give advice absent stats/goals

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:43 pm

I'd find something for the next summer based on whatever interests you and then I would aim for 3L OCI, state clerkships, or government honors. You can always apply for big law after a clerkship. I'm only a 2L and don't know much, but that would be my best suggestion. Good luck, and keep your chin up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:59 am

Well since I transferred I don't have any grades. But I'm on a secondary journal at BC/BU and I wanted to do corporate/business/finance.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well since I transferred I don't have any grades. But I'm on a secondary journal at BC/BU and I wanted to do corporate/business/finance.

Stop spending time on TLS and apply to every GC's office you can find in your area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm also at BC/BU. I think one mistake you may have made was limiting yourself on just corporate and finance. It's fine to strive and try to get positions in that field, but I've learned that lawyers move from one area to another. For example, I'm really interested in environmental law, but at the government office I worked at this summer, the environmental attorneys there actually did criminal law or law completely unrelated to environmental law before going there. Focus on positions that open doors and get you substantive training. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint, and you can still get your dream job with patience and persistence.

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Also don't feel that discouraged only like 20% of people from BU/BC get big law. Talk to career services about options, study for finals, and work on your interviewing.

dc2013

Postby dc2013 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:53 am

I know the feeling. I am a 3L top 20 LS, top 25%. I transferred too and missed in OCI. Keep your head up, make sure you get good grades, and network. Networking can be hard, but it doesn’t have to meeting new people. I have been contacting people I know, but just haven’t talked to lately and people who are friends of friends. Due to my networking, I have a call-back interview at a V20 next week. Grades are important because it is easier for a contact to help you if you look good on paper. If you don’t look good on paper, there won’t be much they can do for you. Look, you are on this forum, you know how many law students don’t have jobs and are just sending out resumes to everyone, you need to do something different. I’m not saying stop sending resumes (I still apply for jobs every day), but you need to think about what else you can do. If you just send out resumes you will just be another unemployed law student.

Agent

Postby Agent » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:05 am

I think this is good advice. Good luck.

dc2013 wrote:I know the feeling. I am a 3L top 20 LS, top 25%. I transferred too and missed in OCI. Keep your head up, make sure you get good grades, and network. Networking can be hard, but it doesn’t have to meeting new people. I have been contacting people I know, but just haven’t talked to lately and people who are friends of friends. Due to my networking, I have a call-back interview at a V20 next week. Grades are important because it is easier for a contact to help you if you look good on paper. If you don’t look good on paper, there won’t be much they can do for you. Look, you are on this forum, you know how many law students don’t have jobs and are just sending out resumes to everyone, you need to do something different. I’m not saying stop sending resumes (I still apply for jobs every day), but you need to think about what else you can do. If you just send out resumes you will just be another unemployed law student.

Return to “Legal Employment”