It's almost December 1st... I'm a 1L... Help! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
legallymidwestern

New

It's almost December 1st... I'm a 1L... Help!

Post by legallymidwestern » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:19 am

As the December 1st deadline approaches, I'm getting slightly panicked and could use some advice.

I made a spreadsheet of my contacts for the places I want to apply this summer several weeks ago (so I wouldn't have to worry about it during finals), but my current dilemma is how to actually go about applying. Many of the places I would like to apply specify that they won't consider an application until they've received grades. I was wondering if it's acceptable to write the recruiter an e-mail introducing yourself to put your name out there since I will be waiting until mid-January for my grades. If so, what do I say?

Any tips that people have used to get a head start (like I'm hoping for) would be great!

ph14

Gold

Re: It's almost December 1st... I'm a 1L... Help!

Post by ph14 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:21 am

legallymidwestern wrote:As the December 1st deadline approaches, I'm getting slightly panicked and could use some advice.

I made a spreadsheet of my contacts for the places I want to apply this summer several weeks ago (so I wouldn't have to worry about it during finals), but my current dilemma is how to actually go about applying. Many of the places I would like to apply specify that they won't consider an application until they've received grades. I was wondering if it's acceptable to write the recruiter an e-mail introducing yourself to put your name out there since I will be waiting until mid-January for my grades. If so, what do I say?

Any tips that people have used to get a head start (like I'm hoping for) would be great!
It's not a "deadline." It's a starting date. It's better to just worry about this after finals. Send in your applications once finals are over, or even when you receive your grades. Many places will want to see your grades anyways before they make a decision. It's not going to hurt you to wait.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:27 am

ph14 wrote:It's not a "deadline." It's a starting date. It's better to just worry about this after finals. Send in your applications once finals are over, or even when you receive your grades. Many places will want to see your grades anyways before they make a decision. It's not going to hurt you to wait.
Agreed. Time now is much better spent on finals than jobs.

legallymidwestern

New

Post by legallymidwestern » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:28 am

ph14 wrote:
legallymidwestern wrote:As the December 1st deadline approaches, I'm getting slightly panicked and could use some advice.

It's not a "deadline." It's a starting date. It's better to just worry about this after finals. Send in your applications once finals are over, or even when you receive your grades. Many places will want to see your grades anyways before they make a decision. It's not going to hurt you to wait.
Great, thank you! Could you give me an idea of a time frame when firms start interviewing? I've heard it's usually around the middle to end of February.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:33 am

legallymidwestern wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Great, thank you! Could you give me an idea of a time frame when firms start interviewing? I've heard it's usually around the middle to end of February.
It probably starts around late January or early February, at least at my school. Basically, right after grades come out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:28 am

Even if they want grades, they'll interview you before you get grades back. I found it was particularly nice to get that done with over the break so you don't have to worry about traveling or skipping classes after spring semester starts.

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:22 am

First semester grades are going to determine your job prospects out of law school much, much more than your summer job. Like others said, it can wait until winter break.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:54 am

if you are applying for jobs in a different city than your school, apply before break and let them know that you'll be in their city over break. The people I knew with more prestigious 1L gov't positions, for example, got them before spring semester had started by interviewing in DC over break.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:57 am

Not to thread jack too badly but related question.

I'm going to mass mail some firms in the coming days since we only have 2 finals and I have plenty of time to do so. Would you suggest doing it over the weekend or waiting until Monday? The first is obviously tomorrow, but I'm afraid that submitting on a Saturday increases the risk of it getting lost behind a wall of emails over the weekend instead of doing it Monday when they would be at work.

Is that a valid concern or should I just assume that since these people do recruiting for a living that if I submit they will get it regardless of when I do so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:31 am

2014 wrote:The first is obviously tomorrow, but I'm afraid that submitting on a Saturday increases the risk of it getting lost behind a wall of emails over the weekend instead of doing it Monday when they would be at work.
If a law firm can't handle an incoming application on a Saturday, it's probably not a place you want to be working for. These are generally businesses operating at a very high level, mistakes aren't impossible but it's not like they shut down the mail room/servers on the weekend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:48 am

I would be more worried you end up in the top 5 to 10% than the email being received, without those grades, good luck.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would be more worried you end up in the top 5 to 10% than the email being received, without those grades, good luck.
I have 2 finals, one of which is hardly study-able. I see no reason why I can't spend an afternoon over the next few days sending cover letters.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:44 pm

For what it's worth, I mailed everything my year on December 1st on the dot.

A lot of people who said "wait til break" were disappointed with the scraps that were left for them by the time January and February rolled around - or they just never got around to it at all.

If you aren't already in good shape for finals, an extra hour or two tomorrow isn't going to change that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:26 pm

Pick a few specific firms in the city that you'd like to spend your summer, especially if you're going to be in that town over break. Send good resumes (i.e. nice recitation of education, experience and interests, no typos) to those firms as soon as you can, indicate that you'll be in town and that you'd be happy to drop in for a meet-and-greet. If your resume is decent, you'll probably get some bites. That will be the best and most efficient way to get your foot in the door, then when grades come out, you'll follow up and (assuming your grades are good) get an official interview.

Unless you've established a specific point of contact, most firms aren't going to pay too much attention to resumes until grades come out. Spending a lot of time on a mass mailing on December 1 is not only a waste of time, but takes time away from studying for finals (if your grades aren't good, you're trending towards "screwed" anyway).

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:27 pm

wiseowl wrote:For what it's worth, I mailed everything my year on December 1st on the dot.

A lot of people who said "wait til break" were disappointed with the scraps that were left for them by the time January and February rolled around - or they just never got around to it at all.

If you aren't already in good shape for finals, an extra hour or two tomorrow isn't going to change that.
For what it's worth, I mailed everything in January. I didn't really see much action until grades came out, and most of the places wanted to see my grades anyways. I got a SA in early February. Plus 1L jobs aren't that important, and there aren't really "scraps." As long as you are doing something legal you are fine.

But if you feel you have time, I guess you can send an application. But you certainly should not be stressing about getting applications out on December 1st.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”