DOJ Background Investigation Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DOJ Background Investigation Question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Can a mod please delete this post? Thank you!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Background Investigation Question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question about habitual drug use and the DOJ background investigation. I was a habitual drug user, addicted to a prescription painkiller for about a year that I obtained from a friend's mother. This ended in 2008 and was related to being in an abusive marriage. When I fled from the marriage, I left that behind as well and have not used any drugs since that time. That was over four years ago (it will be five by the time my position starts). I plan to disclose this and to fully explain that the painkillers were used to cope with the abuse and all that ultimately led to me wanting to go to law school, where I have excelled and have a lot of people who would be willing to state that I am rehabilitated (not all know about the substance abuse yet, but I plan to tell them before asking if they would be willing to vouch for me, and I am sure they will). My question is for anyone who has gone through this process or who has participated in the process. Do you think I am categorically screwed, or do you think that by coming clean and explaining the context I will be able to get over that hurdle? Thank you to anyone who is able to shed some light on this for me.

I was told by a USAO that the only dealbreakers in the background check - the only things they could NOT get around, that would prevent them from hiring a candidate under any circumstances - were failure to pay taxes, cheating on your taxes, failure to pay student loans, and post-bar drug use. That doesn't guarantee your past won't be a problem or make the process more difficult, but I don't think it's a categorical bar. (Though I don't know if all DOJ components follow the same standards for background checks - the USAO requires the SF-86, Questionnaire for National Security positions.)

anon168

Re: DOJ Background Investigation Question

Postby anon168 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question about habitual drug use and the DOJ background investigation. I was a habitual drug user, addicted to a prescription painkiller for about a year that I obtained from a friend's mother. This ended in 2008 and was related to being in an abusive marriage. When I fled from the marriage, I left that behind as well and have not used any drugs since that time. That was over four years ago (it will be five by the time my position starts). I plan to disclose this and to fully explain that the painkillers were used to cope with the abuse and all that ultimately led to me wanting to go to law school, where I have excelled and have a lot of people who would be willing to state that I am rehabilitated (not all know about the substance abuse yet, but I plan to tell them before asking if they would be willing to vouch for me, and I am sure they will). My question is for anyone who has gone through this process or who has participated in the process. Do you think I am categorically screwed, or do you think that by coming clean and explaining the context I will be able to get over that hurdle? Thank you to anyone who is able to shed some light on this for me.

You should be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”