Language Skills + Biglaw ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ysp1025

Language Skills + Biglaw ?

Postby ysp1025 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:24 am

Suppose that I have casual knowledge of another language since childhood - able to do conversation and everyday interaction, watch talk shows and dramas with relative comfort, read simple things, etc...but when a conversation/news article gets too complex or intellectual, I am pretty fucked. Basically at elementary school level.

In other words, natural and proficient conversationally, but poor/slow in reading and writing, and functionally useless for actual work that might involve negotiations or real documents and shit.

Do language skills give someone any significant boost in getting an SA offer?

How fluent do you need to be in order for it to be considered useful for a firm and increase your chance of getting chosen? (Conversational? High school level? College level reading and writing?)

I'm an 0L and will apply next years cycle, but once I gain admissions I am seriously thinking about deferring enrollment so I can spend one year working to get my language skills as high as possible. I want to do for personal fulfillment - but if it also gives an edge in landing an SA position later on, then I might have to prioritize and start doing it NOW, especially since i don't have work experience.

Would appreciate any info on this. Hopefully others who are have different cultural backgrounds or emigrated early, and are in a similar position would find this info useful as well. Thanks.

Re: Language Skills + Biglaw ?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:28 am

ysp1025 wrote:Suppose that I have casual knowledge of another language since childhood - able to do conversation and everyday interaction, watch talk shows and dramas with relative comfort, read simple things, etc...but when a conversation/news article gets too complex or intellectual, I am pretty fucked. Basically at elementary school level.

In other words, natural and proficient conversationally, but poor/slow in reading and writing, and functionally useless for actual work that might involve negotiations or real documents and shit.

Do language skills give someone any significant boost in getting an SA offer?

How fluent do you need to be in order for it to be considered useful for a firm and increase your chance of getting chosen? (Conversational? High school level? College level reading and writing?)

I'm an 0L and will apply next years cycle, but once I gain admissions I am seriously thinking about deferring enrollment so I can spend one year working to get my language skills as high as possible. I want to do for personal fulfillment - but if it also gives an edge in landing an SA position later on, then I might have to prioritize and start doing it NOW, especially since i don't have work experience.

Would appreciate any info on this. Hopefully others who are have different cultural backgrounds or emigrated early, and are in a similar position would find this info useful as well. Thanks.

This is not your forum, then.

Return to “Legal Employment”