NLJ 250 Firm - No Market Pay to Summers, Maybe to Ass.?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NLJ 250 Firm - No Market Pay to Summers, Maybe to Ass.?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey, I'm working as a summer associate on the lower end of the NLJ 250 (has about 170 attorneys) in a (highly desirable) secondary market this summer. The firm doesn't pay anywhere close to a market summer rate, and pays about 800 a week. Unfortunately that was my only offer, being that I'm median at a T20, so I have to take it. Has anyone heard of this before? How likely is it that this firm actually pays market rate or close to it to new associates? Market rate is 115k to 135k. This is NOT a mega insurance defense firm or anything like that; they're chiefly a business litigation firm.

adammac17

Re: NLJ 250 Firm - No Market Pay to Summers, Maybe to Ass.?

Postby adammac17 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Like you said, it was your only option.

I don't know much about secondary markets, but my 1L SA was with a fairly well respected "midlaw" firm in Chicago. I got paid about $20/hr and from what I heard from some of the younger associates, starting pay for them was just over 100k, but not quite market. With that said, I got paid essentially 1/3rd what the starting salary was (if they are to be believed). From what I've seen elsewhere on here, this seems fairly common among firms that pay less than a pro-rated 1st year's salary to SAs.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:42 pm

adammac17 wrote:Like you said, it was your only option.

I don't know much about secondary markets, but my 1L SA was with a fairly well respected "midlaw" firm in Chicago. I got paid about $20/hr and from what I heard from some of the younger associates, starting pay for them was just over 100k, but not quite market. With that said, I got paid essentially 1/3rd what the starting salary was (if they are to be believed). From what I've seen elsewhere on here, this seems fairly common among firms that pay less than a pro-rated 1st year's salary to SAs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, this was actually super helpful.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:45 pm

Plenty of smaller firms pay substantially less to summer associates than first year associates. The biggest problem with these sort of firms is that they often don't hire summers with the intention of making them full times offers afterward. Since it's your only offer, not much you can do but take it, but if they haven't told you explicitly that they strive to make full time offers to all their summer associates then don't expect an offer at the end of the summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”