Employmet Chances?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LawlStoodent

Employmet Chances?

Postby LawlStoodent » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to graduate toward the bottom of their class, say around lower quarter of the class, would they be able to find a job? I’m wondering because there is a distinct possibility that I’d end up in such a situation. Just to note, I think I’d be okay with a shitty salary for the first couple years out (~$40k per year). But my question is later on down the line, say five years into the career, would things start looking up? Or is it kinda just you screw up your grades, and you’re screwed for life?

FitterHappier289

Re: Employmet Chances?

Postby FitterHappier289 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:01 pm

Are you at Harvard, Yale or Stanford? If not bottom 1/4 will be tough, even at T14. Maybe not certainly screwed for life but a very good chance. Outside the T14 fuggedaboutit. Quit now.

LawlStoodent

Postby LawlStoodent » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:03 pm

FitterHappier289 wrote:Are you at Harvard, Yale or Stanford? If not bottom 1/4 will be tough, even at T14. Maybe not certainly screwed for life but a very good chance. Outside the T14 fuggedaboutit. Quit now.

I'm at a T2. But I have a scholarship that covers most of my tuition and my parents are covering the rest. Would you still say dropout?

FitterHappier289

Postby FitterHappier289 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 pm

I think that becomes a more personal call. If you don't have debt to worry about, you're only losing time, not time and money. It doesn't change the calculus that it'll just be damned hard to get a job with those stats. I'm at a T2 as well and I have a summer job coming up, but I finished top 5% with LR and am a pretty good interviewer. Pretty much anyone without those stats at my school (or maybe a little below) ended up striking out completely (read: no 40K a year jobs, not just big law). It truly pains me to think what some of my friends in the lower quarter are going to do once this is all over. I hope they have scholarships and parents like yours.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:11 pm

If your willing to bust ass making 40-50k for a few years and then have what it takes to start your own practice, I've seen solo practitioners in that situation end up in the high 6 figures 10 years down the road so no, you don't necessarily get screwed for life.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:17 pm

I would drop out. Not even close.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Since you will be graduating "debt free," I recommend sticking with it. As you said, you are okay with a lower-paying firm job. If you are not graduating at the top of your class, the fact that you are bottom quarter will not matter for the firms that are paying in the $40K range. They cannot afford to waste their time and resources on a law student who is only a top 10-percenter. These firms care more about your softs and other experiences over grades. While a social pariah from HYS may be acceptable at a big law firm, such won't be the case with the smaller firms who require their associates to have a lot more client interaction. Plus, if the law doesn't interest you, you can go to a non-law job that pays in the same range since you are debt free.

LawlStoodent

Postby LawlStoodent » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Well, I do have a substantial amount of UG debt; but on even a $50k salary, I should be able to handle it after the first year or two of IBR (so I’ll deal with it later).

Plus, I have a UG degree in finance and might attempt a shot at the CPA exam after law school, so that might be a viable fallback; we’ll see.

2LsAPlenty

Postby 2LsAPlenty » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:45 pm

It depends what you want. Most people on this forum or biglaw or bust and think anything below that is shit. It is not representative of most law students. If you want to be an attorney, stick with it.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:06 pm

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:01 pm

2LsAPlenty wrote:It depends what you want. Most people on this forum or biglaw or bust and think anything below that is shit. It is not representative of most law students. If you want to be an attorney, stick with it.

Yeah. If the schooling is free, take it. 5 years later, grades matter less and it becomes a what can you do (and who do you know) game. If you like it, do it. And if it doesn't work out, hey, you've got a graduate degree and no debt - not a bad position in life.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:40 pm

Employment chances might be better if employment i spelled right though :)

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm assuming you are a 2L/3L. If so, your job chances are solely dependent on your networking skills. If you're good at that, you'll be OK, if not, then..

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Image

Return to “Legal Employment”