Small firm salary?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Small firm salary?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:00 am

What is the average salary paid by a small firm? Is there a good number to bear in mind as a bottom line? Asking because I received an offer paying $74k in a secondary Southern market. Should I ask for more?

TYIA!

bk1

Re: Small firm salary?

Postby bk1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 am

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:What is the average salary paid by a small firm? Is there a good number to bear in mind as a bottom line? Asking because I received an offer paying $74k in a secondary Southern market. Should I ask for more?

TYIA!

Firms do not generally negotiate salaries for associates. Take the offer and be glad you have one.

$74k in say, Birmingham or Nashville sounds about right, perhaps even generous, for a small firm with a decent practice representing mostly local business and perhaps some individuals. Firms vary salaries considerably outside of big firms that make their salaries pretty public. You just don't have enough information or bargaining power to do any sort of meaningful negotiation. Maybe if a comparable firm gives you a higher offer you could ask them to match, but you're probably better off just taking the higher paying firm outright.

hangtime813

Postby hangtime813 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:34 am

badaboom61 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What is the average salary paid by a small firm? Is there a good number to bear in mind as a bottom line? Asking because I received an offer paying $74k in a secondary Southern market. Should I ask for more?

TYIA!

Firms do not generally negotiate salaries for associates. Take the offer and be glad you have one.

$74k in say, Birmingham or Nashville sounds about right, perhaps even generous, for a small firm with a decent practice representing mostly local business and perhaps some individuals. Firms vary salaries considerably outside of big firms that make their salaries pretty public. You just don't have enough information or bargaining power to do any sort of meaningful negotiation. Maybe if a comparable firm gives you a higher offer you could ask them to match, but you're probably better off just taking the higher paying firm outright.

any idea for LA market?

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:51 am

Secondary Southern cities have a low COL. $74K in Savannah is equivalent to $148K in NYC. Even if your southern market is Atlanta size, $74K is like $138K in NYC and $100K in Philly. Just saying. . .$74K is fine.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:32 am

hangtime813 wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

TYIA!

any idea for LA market?

Los Angeles or Louisiana?

For the former, look at the attorney salary page (pg. 8 ) on the link bk posted and multiply by 1.245. For the latter, if it's New Orleans, multiply by 0.99. If it's not New Orleans in Louisiana, I imagine anything in the listed range is probably good (and the bigger the city, the closer to the high end you should probably hope/expect it to be).

A lot of small firms use Robert Half to set their salaries, so it's a pretty good benchmark. (city multipliers start on page 13).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Somewhat related - anyone having experience going from a small firm SA to a full time position with them - have you found that there is some kind of rule of thumb as to salary - e.g. Your first year salary was double your summer pay?

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Somewhat related - anyone having experience going from a small firm SA to a full time position with them - have you found that there is some kind of rule of thumb as to salary - e.g. Your first year salary was double your summer pay?

I believe this is entirely dependent on firm. I knew a guy who had this happen at a firm where summer pay was $23.50 an hour and first year salary was like $80 or $85k. No real correlation at all.

For another example, in some southern markets, market for 2L summer pay is $1400 a week, and firms tend to pay this regardless of whether they start at $75k or $110k

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:01 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Somewhat related - anyone having experience going from a small firm SA to a full time position with them - have you found that there is some kind of rule of thumb as to salary - e.g. Your first year salary was double your summer pay?

I believe this is entirely dependent on firm. I knew a guy who had this happen at a firm where summer pay was $23.50 an hour and first year salary was like $80 or $85k. No real correlation at all.

For another example, in some southern markets, market for 2L summer pay is $1400 a week, and firms tend to pay this regardless of whether they start at $75k or $110k

I appreciate the anecdotes that's exactly what I was looking for. Figured it was firm dependent for the most part

Return to “Legal Employment”